The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Ray Dolby

jukebox

Those "of a certain age" will remember the [Philips compact] cassette, and that by the late 1970's most tape decks had a little button with a Double D - Dolby Noise Reduction.

74021283.jpg

It took analog cassettes from SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS to ......................................................................

Ray Dolby has passed away  -  http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-13/ray-dolby2c-audio-pioneer2c-dies-aged-80/4955572

If ever a man deserved to be honoured with a minute's silence, it was him.

That was a great contributiin he made, the difference it made was astounding.

He was even 'spoofed' in the Spinal Tap movie when, to the derision of the rest of the band, David St Hubbins' girlfriend referred to it as Dobly.

• RMweb Premium

His contribution to audio was immense. I always thought the humble casette tape had a bad rap as with a good quality tape in a good quality deck and with Dolby B (but not Dolby C which whilst effective as noise reduction always seemed to kill high frequency sounds of the recording too to my ears)it could perform extremely well. I guess I may be showing my age but for many years one of my most prized possessions and one of my more extravagent purchases was a Nakamichi CR7 cassette deck which really did demonstrate the potential of the format. I also still have my old Sony Walkman Professional which was engineered to a degree rarely found in any modern electronics. Sad to see him pass on, he was a brilliant man.

Archived