N gauge E5 to E1R kit bash

Dorsetmike

A friend modelling Torrington area asked this question in regard to making an E1R from the Langley E5 kit, are there any drawings or good photos about or can anyone quote significant dimension differences (my main interest is ex LSWR not LBSCR), the photos an SEmG don't look sufficient for doing such a hack.

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure that a Billinton E5 is a great starting point for an E1R. The latter started life as a Stroudley, E1, of course, and had a smaller boiler, max 4' diameter pitched 6'11" above rail level, against max 4'3" pitched at 8' for the E5. The E5 had 5'6" drivers, 12" larger than the E1R. The trailing wheels on the E5 were 4', while those added to the E1R were 3'1".

Mike,

I built one of these in 7mm a long while back.  I will try and locate what notes and records I might have kept and see what information I can provide.  I guess there are no 2mm scale E1 kits around, as that would be a lot simpler.

If your friend can get hold of 'Branch Lines to Torrington' - Middleton Press and 'Lines to Torrington' by John Nicholas; pub OPC 1984, there are a selection of photos in those that will help.  I think there is a SR weight diagram in 'Locomotives of the Southern' by Jim Russell, but I do not have a copy so cannot confirm.  This will show wheel base and wheel diameters I think.

Yes, there is a weight diagram on page 86, with several photos. A tasty subject for a variety of passenger stock.

Hth

PB

The other similar  Langley kit is the E2, Langley  produced both to use the Farish Pannier or GP tank chassis, Langley originally designed about 35 or more years ago, things like wheel diameters were more or less ignored in N gauge, you used something that was available; and that was usually the Farish standard chassis with the same fixed wheel spacing used for everything from pannier and prairie through to Duchess and A3, with one of 3 wheel sizes, 4', 5' or 6'.

• 7 months later...

Many years ago than I care to imagine (certainly 50+), I built quite a nice E1R in TT3 using the Tri-ang Jinty 0-6-0T as a basis, obviously adding a new cab and bunker and a pair of trailing wheels on a lengthened chassis.

That makes me wonder whether the new GF Jinty might make a reasonable basis in N. The coupled wheels are about right although the wheelbase is a bit too long - and, of course, you would have to find those trailing wheels from somewhere.

Otherwise the front half of the body, including the tank, could be modified, and a new cab and bunker added, as I (and the Southern Railway before me) did.

• 10 months later...

Archived