WW1 Dick Kerr converted to standard gauge

I'm sure I remember a peak district quarry had one of the ex WW1 2' gauge petrol electric tractors converted to standard gauge and I'm equally sure I've seen one photograph of the beastie. Can't remember what book it's in though-can anyone help? Or does anyone know of any other photographs of the aforementioned loco?

John.

I'm sure I remember a peak district quarry had one of the ex WW1 2' gauge petrol electric tractors converted to standard gauge and I'm equally sure I've seen one photograph of the beastie. Can't remember what book it's in though-can anyone help? Or does anyone know of any other photographs of the aforementioned loco?

John.

You are probably thinking of AMOS on the Ashover Light Railway, latterley used as the Fallgate Yard shunter.  It was converted to standard gauge in 1946 and sent in the following year to the Clay Cross Co's Bloxham Ironstone Quarry, near Banbury.  After closure of that quarry it was used by contractors lifting several BR lines and finally scrapped in 1964.

A photo of the loco at Bloxham by the late Eric Tonks appears in Part 2 of his series on ironstone railways and the same photo also appears in the Wild Swan book on the Ashover Railway by Robert Gratton and Stuart R.Band.

• 2 weeks later...

You are probably thinking of AMOS on the Ashover Light Railway, latterley used as the Fallgate Yard shunter.  It was converted to standard gauge in 1946 and sent in the following year to the Clay Cross Co's Bloxham Ironstone Quarry, near Banbury.  After closure of that quarry it was used by contractors lifting several BR lines and finally scrapped in 1964.

A photo of the loco at Bloxham by the late Eric Tonks appears in Part 2 of his series on ironstone railways and the same photo also appears in the Wild Swan book on the Ashover Railway by Robert Gratton and Stuart R.Band.

You're spot on, it was Amos. Photo found now I've got to try & work up a sketch to build it!

John.

Archived