Class 116 DMU

Bricktrix

Having been really struck by the 116 that Pete Waterman runs on his layout, I thought I'd have a crack at building my own. Those of you who have seen my previous posts will know that I am a proffesional LEGO model designer, and my hobby is LEGO trains!....so its not the norm and causes all sorts of interesting problems when trying to convert them to run on DCC, which is all new to me!

So this is the result:

0s.jpg

Its using a SWD class 108 Loksound V4 soundchip.

This is the techy bit thats been a hurdle. Due to the nature of LEGO models, and only having 1 power pick up on the front unit, its required having to run connecting wires through the carriages for the lighting....but only 2 wires rather than the 3 required for the chip. The interior carriage lights are amber led strips with their own built in resistors. The cab lights are micro leds and the front / rear direction lights are white and red leds in the same apperture. Not wanting to have to press lots of function buttons, the cab lights have been wired into the direction lights, so the cab light only comes on in forwards motion, and the direction lights change to white and red at the rear whilst the interior lights stay on regardless of direction.

This has involved the use of relays, bridges, etc to get this to opperate as required. Its been extensive but is now all working and theres no way I could have done this without my 2 friends Richard and Mike again with their expert knowledge.

The below video shows the lights working, appologies for the quality!

I can't tell if it's 6-wide or 8? Or could it be 7? I have built a handful of 8-wide models including a Virgin HST, a 91 in IC swallow livery and a 56 in triple-grey (construction sector, naturally). Hours of fun. Never put sound in them though.

Bif

Lego man uses Lego!

Archived