My Son's new layout (well, mine really)

bluesparky

Rather than continuing another thread I'd started on here concerning a new layout I've started another one as the design is now utterly different.

This is going to be a circular, three track, loft based layout with a central operating well - with two basic potenital top halves of which I've attached.

The side tracks run off to the fiddle yard & sidings on the other side of the operating well.

The rolling stock and locos will basically be 80s blue diesel with and APT and a token steam train thrown in for good measure (with the theory being that it can be classed as a heritage special!).

I'm not sure about the DCC system I'm going to use, probably Gaugemaster Prodigy 2 as I don't think my budget will stretch to a Lenz system.

This is still very early doors in the design and as you can see the computer software didn't do a very good job of saving to PDF so I'll re-do the print once i've finished re-building my PC.

Thanks for looking, and thank you in advance for any thoughts, pointers or suggestions.

I'll hopefully add more as the process comes along.

Cheers,

Top Crop 1.pdf

Top Crop 2.pdf

Really it depends on what you want to do with your layout. The bottom plan allows you to have longer trains into the main sidings and a very simple bay arrangement. However, the top plan could allow for slightly more interesting operation, admittedly with shorter trains. By providing the bay with a kickback siding, you could station some sort of station pilot there and perform shunt release movements for short incoming trains. However, there's nothing stopping you (which i can see) from extending the mainline platforms to approximately the same length as plan two to give you the best of both worlds. However, it does look like a very good idea, with lots of continuous running and shunting opportunities. 

Thanks for the reply, the short platform at the top was for a 3 coach DMU with a small station building and car park at the end of the platform.

I like the idea of a few sidings for some shunting and storage on the bottom of each plan.

In my mind it's reminant and very loosely based on Ipswich station but I don't have the room to do a decent version of it!

I may try and make the sidings a bit more interesting - the two sidings will be a loco maintainence shed, I may add another or some coach sheds, but I do like the look of rolling stock lines up waiting to be used, which would be obscured by a coach shed.

Sadly, after having to re-format my computer (MacBook Pro) I'm having major issue re-installing TrackMaster, even though their customer support have been cracking in the past I'm still having issues this time around.

I'm currently re-drawing my potential thoughts & plans with SCARM and i'll pop any developments or noodles up here again.

I hope that the software will let me do what I have in mind, it looks like it should - I've not used it before so it's a bit of a learning curve for me.

I see that it has options for joining track together from several different manufacturers, now here is a newbie question...

Am I ok to mix Peco 100 track with Hornby's track ( I know, I know, it's been asked a million times before and there answer is on this website, but I just want to be sure for my own peace of mind, i believe the answer to be that they are compatible).

Thank you

• 1 month later...

Talking of double slips...!

I've tried to incorporate one into a part of my potential layout (which I've redrawn in SCARM) but I can't get the geometry right.

I've drawn it using mainly Hornby track because I know the numbers of the track without having to think about it, but I'll probably use PECO set track 100.

However, I'm still planning to use three main running lines but can anyone help me with how I should put a double slip into the attached plan please? Once I've been able to do that then hopefully I won't struggle trying to fit it in elsewhere.

I think I'm right in saying that the radius of a double slip is 610mm / 12 degrees?

Thanks for any help.

I'll try and upload my latest attempt of my whole plan once I tidy it up a bit - I still think it looks a little too much like a train set and I'm tempted to start again from scratch.

post-16824-0-52955200-1385124528.jpg

• RMweb Premium

With the double slip incorporated as per your diagram, you don't need the other crossovers, they don't add any functionality.  But Peco Setrack and Hornby (I think) points have a turnout of 22.5 degrees, so don't work with the double slip which has a crossing angle of 12 degrees, matching Streamline points. 

• RMweb Premium

The only way you can make it look reasonable using the Streamline double slip is to use Streamline points (or somebody else's with a 12 degree turnout angle).  This will give you a 2" track spacing, which is what you get with a Streamline crossover, but less than the you get with a Settrack crossover (2 and five-eighths).  2" is closer to prototype, but still slightly too much I believe.

You can mix Hornby and Peco, and Settrack and Streamline, but what you can't do is mix differing pointwork geometries and get anything like smoothly flowing track formations.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again Chimer. I've since scrapped the "design" I've done I start again, but given the concept that I want (a continuous 2 or 3 track run with a through station with a short terminus platform for dmus, and a small goods yard & sidings) they all look the same anyway.

Also given the size of board I'm allowing myself they all look the same anyway.

I'm struggling for inspiration as the 90 degree turns at either end of the station look really train-setty to me.

I'm tempted to do a simple single track country scene but I like the hustle and bustle of a busy station too much!

Once I redraw my current plan I'll post it here for further scrutiny - however I can't see how it'll be too much different from above.

Think about putting the whole station on a curve.  If you use Peco Streamline points they have some more gentle curved points you could use.

Jon assisted me with a plan using the curved Peco Streamline points and it looks really so much better. After checking with a 12":1ft expert of this parish, some of the points were relocated to aid operational accuracy but Jon's concept remains the core of my layout. I will post it if you wish but it is a main line terminus rather than a through station, involves 28 points (no slips), 50+ metres of track and it does have dimensions of 3.4m x 2.9m!

Thanks chaps. Gruffalo - your layout does sound impressive, I would like to see a plan of it if that's ok?

I'll give the station on a curve a go, is it ok to mix streamline and set track and Hornby track? (I don't know whether streamline is much different from set track).

What is the best option for a station platform? Once again, I'm only really used to Hornby Pre-moulded station sections rather than having built anything myself so this is all new territory to me.

I'll get drawing my next effort as soon as I can (shoe horned between changing nappies and working!).

Cheers.

• RMweb Premium

Fine to mix the track systems, except as noted above a Streamline crossover produces parallel tracks closer together than the others, unless you insert a smidge of extra track between the points.

I have 10 thumbs when it comes to anything vaguely arty-crafty, but managed a reasonable (by my standards) fist of a curved platform using the Metcalfe kit, available in stone or brick.

Good luck!

Chris

Thanks chaps. Gruffalo - your layout does sound impressive, I would like to see a plan of it if that's ok?

I'll give the station on a curve a go, is it ok to mix streamline and set track and Hornby track? (I don't know whether streamline is much different from set track).

What is the best option for a station platform? Once again, I'm only really used to Hornby Pre-moulded station sections rather than having built anything myself so this is all new territory to me.

I'll get drawing my next effort as soon as I can (shoe horned between changing nappies and working!).

Cheers.

Well, here is the station and approach. The main lines to the bottom right continue round on a downward gradient to allow me a pair of returning loops for storage of at least three consists on each track.

post-17584-0-16821900-1386180468_thumb.jpg

Archived