Bashing a 3-way point

hartleymartin

Last night I pulled out two old and damaged peco points that I had kept. I originally intended to make stub-points out of them, the idea being to save a few inches of length and have a stub point leading out of the fiddle yard to the scenic section. This would at least help give the impression that points were used on both ends of the run-around loop - a variation on the practice of having half a run-around in the fiddle yard.

Anyway, I decided to have a go at hacking them together to make a 3-way point. At least I would only have to make one frog, instead of three. Only one of the points still had blades floating around somewhere, but I can use these as patterns to make up a section set.

I know from trying to fix damaged points in 00 that any attempt that I made at this would result in huge blobs of molten sleepers and industrial stength swearing so I offer you the very best of luck.

Personally I think it would be easier to start from scratch with some rail and copperclad sleepers.

I think you would be better off building from scratch using either C&L or PECO Individulay parts. Attached are three photos showing my three-way built from PECO parts. The radii are 6'. My technique is to use 4mm scale copper clad sleeper strip filed to the thickness of the base of the chairs and glue small strips to the sleepers where the common crossings will be fixed. When the rail has been soldered into position on the strips I then cut chairs and fasten them in place for cosmetic effect. This method allows for some adjusment as construction progresses. The only very tedious part of the construction process is filing the switch blades, but it is better than paying £14 for a pair of milled C&L blades. I recommend you build a simple point first to prove the method.

post-13142-0-96593000-1380300875_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-58309600-1380300878_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-67776800-1380300880_thumb.jpg

I'm bashing the two regular peco points because they are what I have on hand. Otherwise I would scratch-build the entire thing, probably using a mixture of copperclad and timber sleepers, and probably using several yards of the Code 100 rail that I have stockpiled. I have made regular points before and I think making a 3-way is about has much work as building two points.

I was taking a closer look at the peco components. I might actually cut away all the sleepers around the frogs and replace them with the individulay components (I've got plenty of the sleepers, just waiting/.searching for the chairs!)

I'm bashing the two regular peco points because they are what I have on hand. Otherwise I would scratch-build the entire thing, probably using a mixture of copperclad and timber sleepers, and probably using several yards of the Code 100 rail that I have stockpiled. I have made regular points before and I think making a 3-way is about has much work as building two points.

I was taking a closer look at the peco components. I might actually cut away all the sleepers around the frogs and replace them with the individulay components (I've got plenty of the sleepers, just waiting/.searching for the chairs!)

Gaugemaster is advertising Peco Individulay parts on its website http://www.gaugemaster.com/search_results.asp?searchstring=individul%20peco&andor=view&searchtitle=peco+individulay&style=main&method=kws_gauge&strtype=o&OB=c_d

eBay is also worth searching. I picked up most of my stock of Peco parts from eBay for little more than the cost of postage. That said, I prefer to use C&L for my new builds. 

Archived