Leeming Bar

wensley

Hi All,

Some may remember that on the old RMWeb I was planning on producing a 4' x 1' version of Battersby in the present day. I have since realsied this was not going to be possible due to space constraints. I have been looking once again at the possibilties and have decided to choose a prototype a little closer to heart and extend the board to match. As I have a significant ammount of stock from based on the Wensleydale Railway from a previous project, on the old RMWeb, so decided to settle on Leeming Bar. I aim to recreate the length of line between the Level Crossing at the Northallerton-end of the station to the A1 bridge to the West. For space reasons the A1 bridge is to be moved closer to the station thus shortening the headshunt. I aim to model the station building, car park, goods shed/workshop, running shed and inspection pit as well as the full yard, platform and grounded coaches. The North siding and station loop will be ommited as they are not needed to operate full shunt moves. 8' of the layout will be scenic split into 2 4'x1' boards and the 3rd board of the same sixe will house a simple fiddle yard and the single controller needed to work the layout. The A1 brudge that will form the scenic break will also be situated on this board.

Operation will be by a single Gaugemaster controller and as you can see from the trackplan (below) a single switch will allow power to be distrubuted to all parts of the layout when required. 4 Isolating sections will be included: under the A1 bridge, end of the siding at the back of the layout allowing 1 loco to stable, 1 in the running shed and over the inspection pit and one in the platform near to the level crossing. This will allow many prototypical shunts to be performed as it is planned this layout will be exhibited. I will add some pictures of the prototype shortly and can't wait to hear comments - I am determined this prohject will work!

post-7517-1263453831421_thumb.jpg

Nice to see you back mate. As I mentioned in another topic recently I spent a good deal of time in that part of the world, so will be interested to see this project develop :)

Hope you can still use that support coach ;)

As promised here are a few photos to give a flavour of Leeming Bar to those who don't know it. All photos are taken with permission and many were taken when out and about in my role as the Wensleydale Railway Association's Photograher & Reporter!!

To answer the question above: I may have a short MoD working in the future if I built a cassette to go onto the level crossing end of the layout so such a train could run straight through. This is a distinct possibility but without such a cassette the MoD train would have to terminate in the station as is the case with all preserved services which I don't think would look right - watch this space!!

post-7517-1263623278919_thumb.jpg

An overview of the yard at Leeming

post-7517-12636232717293_thumb.jpg

General clutter in the yard

post-7517-12636232654422_thumb.jpg

The level crossing and station building with an MoD train approaching

post-7517-12636232525411_thumb.jpg

A DBS class 66 stands in the platform at Leeming headed for Castle Hills

post-7517-12636232874637_thumb.jpg

Inside the running shed: 20166 sits on top of the inspection pit

post-7517-12636232971251_thumb.jpg

Looking into the running shed

More to follow - comments welcome

Nice idea for a layout in that area.

Are you going to represent through trains coming from the Northallerton end of the line.

Am i correct in thinking that your layout will be modern era. Which freight train operations have you in mind if any ?

Bearing in mind the quarries at Redmire.

Moorlander.

Thanks for the comments guys. Have just got back from a trip to York to see 67018 'Keith Heller'

Thar 31 is one of the pair (31166/88) that were scrapped. One loco had its engine removed by crane on site-an interesting day fotting and I'll try and dig out the shots sometime.

Glad to hear that people like the thought of modelling Leeming - I wasn't sure but we'll see how it's recieved when out on the exhibition circuit. To start with I am just focussing on the preserved operations of the line and when this is complete I will add a cassette onto the Northallerton end of the layout allowing for me to run through trains. The layout will be modern era and when I get through trains running I will be able to run DBS/EWS MoD trains to the line along with visiting charters. Moorlander, you mentioned stone trains to the quarries in the Redmire area. These trains usd to run once a day conveying limestone from Redmire Railhead to the blast furnaces of Corus, Redcar. In the early 1990s it was found to be cheaper to move this stone by road so this flow stopped. The MoD saved the line until the Wensleydale Railway Assocaition was able to take custodianship of it and start running trains in 2004.

Deltic Man, It's nice to hear that there are fellow rail enthusiasts in Northallerton. The layout will be able to have a wide variety of rolling stock. I already own prototypical coaches as per the new livery that were repainted specially along with superdetailed Lima models of both 47703 and 47715 (Complete with 'Leeming Yard on Tour' headboard)!!!! I also have a class 20 and 108 DMU. I am going to buy another DMU and a steam loco along with a class 20 and plan to model 47540 in its run down state!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Watch this space for more info on rolling stock developments.

Northallerton would be a great layout on 2 levels with the avoiding lines but it is too big - I like the idea of Leeming and it sounds as if I'm not alone. I will add details of different shunt moves possible on this track plan soon.

Jonathon

It's good to be back after a break from RMWebbing!!!!

It's nice to hear that a fair few people think this concept is interesting - especially those in the local area as they know what the line is like!!! I will keep you up to date with progress although it may just be prototype info to give you an overall picture of Leeming with actual work starting in the better weather.

I very much like that little Bedale layout - if it was 4mm we could have joined Leeming and Bedale with a fiddle yard in the middle....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Thought it was about time for an update. I was at Leeming the other day and took some pics showing what will become key elements in the layout but the uploader aint working so I can't upload them!!!

There isn't any physical progress at the moment and there probably won't be an awful lot until the weather has improved and warmed up a bit so baseboard building can commence. However, as promised, I'll try and describe key movements the layout's operation will be based around.

Here's the trackplan again which should give some idea of what moves are possible:

post-7517-1263453831421_thumb.jpg

1) Arriving Service Train. A train will approach the station platform from the fiddle yard and run along the mainline into the platform. If it is a loco-hauled service the train should stop with the rear coach just in the platform and the loco stopped short of the isolated section which will be in front of the Station House.

2) Run-round of Loco Hauled Service Train. I a train is loco-hauled the method employed to run round the coaching stock requires 2 locomotives. Having discharged passengers at the platform the train locomotive will set the coaches back along the mainline until the entire rake and loco is clear of the yard points. The loco will then be uncoupled and it will then run forward into the yard onto either the pit road or South Siding (top of plan). Another loco (station pilot) can then be released from the isolating section in front of the Station House and run towards the coaching stock left on the mainline. The pilot loco will then couple to coaches and draw them into the platform prior to uncoupling from the stock and proceed to the isolating section where it can be left. The train loco can then run out of the yard and onto the mainline prior to setting back and coupling on to the coaching stock.

3) Departing Service Train. With the loco at the right end of the train or the 'crew' having 'changed ends' on a DMU the service train can return towards Redmire. The train will depart the platforms and run straight along the mainline to the fiddle yard.

4) Light Engine from Yard to Platform. On occasions a loco may have to run light engine from the yard to the platform. Locos are nowmally stabled on the 'Pit Road; and must run out onto the mainline prior to reversing into the platform or platform isolating section.

5) Light Engine from Platform to Yard. Locos may need to run from the platform or platform isolating section to the pit road in the yard. The loco must run up the main until clear of the yard points and set back into the siding. The loco can either sit outside the shed or stable over the 'Pit where it can be isolated to allow further shunts to be performed on the same siding.

6) ECS (LHCS) from Headshunt to Platform. On my version of Leeming Yard the coaching stock will have to be stabled on the headshunt between turns. Some of the stock will be on display when stabled and some will be off-scene in the fiddle yard. To move this to the platform the station pilot must pull out of the isolating section in the platform and run up to the mainline prior to setting back into the yard. For this shunt the South Siding should be as clear as possible and the pilot should run down this siding before reversing again to collect the stock. The shunt loco must then draw the coaches down the yard towards the car park until clear of the headshunt point. The stock can then be propelled out of the yard until clear of the points where the loco must reverse again and draw the stock into the platform before being uncoupled and isolated allowing a train loco to pull onto the stock as described in step 4.

7) ECS (LHCS) from Platform to Headshunt. At the end of a day's running with the loco-hauled stock the train loco can set back along the mainline propelling the stock and itself clear of the yard point. The train can then pull down along the South Siding (which should be clear) until the rear of the coaches is clear of the headshunt point. The coaches can then be propelled onto the headshunt where the loco can either be uncoupled or left 'screwed down'.

8) Light Engine from Headshunt to Pit. Having dropped its stock on the headshunt a train loco can pull strainght onto the pit for servicing.

IF THE SOUTH SIDING IS NOT CLEAR THEN THE TRAIN MAY HAVE TO BE SPLIT, THUS INCREASING THE NUMBER OF MOVES REQUIRED

9) ECS (DMU) from South Siding to Platform. DMUs can be stabled on the South Siding between duties if the platform is needed. If the platform is not required the loco can be stabled there, or, if only part of the platform is needed, the DMU's power car can be marshalled to the left hand side of the layout so it can be isolated at the end of the platform with the rest of the unit behind it. However, if such a shunt is neccessary the whole unit must pull out onto the main and set back into the platform prior to its first run up the line.

10) ECS (DMU) from Platform to South Siding. DMU stock for stabling may need to run back up the mainline as ECS before drawing forward into the correct position on the South Siding.

Having explained some simple, passenger-related, shunts and moves I will proceed to explain some more rare, unusual and non-passenger moves tomorrow.

I hope I haven't bored you to death - comments welcome

• 3 years later...

Archived