Rail Served Brick Buildings by the M56 near Chester

For many years i have travelled down the M56, near Junction 14 for chester services are some anonymous brick buildings which looked like they had military connections on both sides of the motorway, i imagined they were leftovers from a wartime airfield, however a look back on google earth to 1945 showed loads of them dotted around the area with each one served by a rail line into the end of each building, after a chat with my pal who's lived in the runcorn area he was non the wiser until he came up with the definitive answer as to their purpose. Follow the link for a detailed explanation..

Darren

http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?2992-Dunham-on-the-Hill-WW2-Bulk-Explosive-Store

After reading the info on the web site it concentrates mainly on the war years but doesnt give any clue as to whether the railway sidings to each building etc were in place up until it closed in 1985, even if they were'nt, someone on here must have taken some up to date (60's,70's,80's etc) photo's of the place, here's hoping....

cheers

Darren

As well as the former munitions stores there are also underground tanks of aviation fuel held nearby, as part of a national network.

Check out www.secret-bases.co.uk for more info on this. It is mainly current stuff but may offer an idea as to the history.

Mark

Not so sure about: "It is quite impossible to miss it, driving into, or out of N. Wales on the M56." (in the original link).

I grew up in Stockport and my parents used to have a static caravan in Pembrokeshire (they still do have a static caravan in Pembrokeshire, but it's in their back garden now!) so we used to travel to and fro on the M56 (then down to Oswestry, Welshpool, Newtown, Aberystwyth, Cardigan) four or five times a year for 10 years, but I never remember seeing it!

• 3 weeks later...

I used to farm at Dunham Hill and although our land did not have any of these structures I can clearly remember them in the late 70's to mid 90's. Most of them are now used for either stock shelter or feed storage. There was an application made in the early 80's to convert them into maggot farms but nothing ever came of the application mainly due to local protest.

If you wish to find out more about these type buildings I would recommend a recent publication titled 'The Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Light Railway under Military Control 1940 - 1960 written by Mike Christenson OBE and published by Lightmoor Press.

I have enclosed some pictures from the above publication to give you some idea as to what went on in these buildings during WD times.

Note how the bombs in the second photo have neither the fuse-cap, or the tail fins, fitted. As such, they'd have been relatively safe to transport, the only risk being of heat from an external source detonating the explosives. The first and third  shots appear to show small arms or similar ammunition being transported in wooden boxes- into the 1970s no garden shed, or domestic garage, was complete without at least one of these.

The track layout is somewhat different to later bases, such as Kineton, Bicester or Longtown, where the main track formed a large loop around the site, allowing the base to continue to function even if part of the track was damaged.

The main concern on the Shropshire &  Montgomery site was that of flooding being near the river Severn which even in those days pre-globle warming was always a risk, a great deal of planning was put into making sure that the sheds were high enough to avoid this threat. the main construction work was carried out by Mc Alpines and the foreman was a Mr Murphy believe it or not ! According to the book quoted in my previous post the sites numbered over 200 sheds all rail serviced. The only ones not rail serviced were the ones in the Ford area which were road serviced and reputed to contain chemical weapons.!!!!

Archived