confused beginner but keen to learn

russ188

please help i've planned my layout but i'm stuck as i have two loops but as the engines change loops my controller says its short circuit but i cant understand how to rectify this problem im using a mixture of peco and Hornby points please help!!!

I;m greatfull for any help

Hi

As you have posted in the dc section I assume you're a dc (analogue) user rather than DCC.

1) Do you have two loops each with its own dc controller?

2) Or is it just one controller and the loops are linked by wires to allow each loop to be fed?

If 1) Then you need to set both controllers to the same direction of travel and roughly the same speed setting.     

also if 1) and two controllers are used they really need to be powered by totally separate mains power supplies or separate windings on a dual wound transformer.

If 2) its one of the two loops rail feed wires the wrong way around. Simply reverse one loops feed wires leaving the other lops as is.

to be honest i want to use both because i have both but don't think its possible!!

i thought that if the circuit continues it would be ok could i be doing something wrong with the points??? sadly cant add the plan to explain more in detail

• RMweb Premium

Russ

In the absence of a drawing can I ask some questions that might allow us to help you.

You say that you have two loops. Does this mean that you have two circles (or ovals), one inside the other?

Or do you have one circuit with a loop off it?

In the former case can we presume that you have at least two points, forming a crossover, that allow you to cross trains from one loop to the other?

You say that your "controller" - singular. Does this mean that you are running the presumed two circuits from the same controller with trains travelling in opposite directions on each circuit?

Do you have the means of making a drawing and sending it to someone by email so that they can upload it?

Hi

If you haven't already emailed it, then send it to me at webreplies@virginmedia.com

If you mean you want to use both dc and DCC you cant do this at the same time. Its very important you fully disconnect one system before connecting the other. Failure to do so is likely to result in one or both systems becoming defective and terminal!  Also remove all dc only locos if powering the layout with DCC.

But before you do send anything, please provide the following details with the email as they are important..

1) Confirm your using either dc or DCC?   dc = analogue control DCC = Digital control.

2) How many dc controllers are being used if dc operation in 1) ?

3) Points you say are a mixture of Hornby and Peco.  Is that Peco Setrack points or their Streamline line ones?

3A) If Streamline, are the points from the Peco Insulated frog or Electro frog range?

EDITED 01/10/13 @ 16:19.   Problem hopefully resolved by email.  Electrofrog points used and no IRJs.  Plan supplied and amended to show IRJ positions required and new rail feeds.

Archived