Silly Question - Did the LMS actually have any Austerity 2-8-0's on their books like the LNER

paulprice

I'm trying to justify adding a WD Austerity to my fleet, especially as a certain Liverpool retailer has reduced the cost quite dramatically, to add one to my Pre-Nationalisation fleet I will either have to repaint into a WD example or I suppose an LNER example unless someone can let me know if any had LMS on their tenders?

I'm trying to justify adding a WD Austerity to my fleet, especially as a certain Liverpool retailer has reduced the cost quite dramatically, to add one to my Pre-Nationalisation fleet I will either have to repaint into a WD example or I suppose an LNER example unless someone can let me know if any had LMS on their tenders?

According to Tourret's "Allied Military Locomotives of the Second World War " (Tourret Publishing 1995), the LMS had 50 WD 2-8-0's on loan in May/June 1943 (7011, 7042-64, 7159-63 and 7310-23).    7057/64, 7160 and 7322 were repainted black by the LMS with WD lettering and numbers in standard LMS type and size.

A shoratage of freight locos on the GWR, LMS and LNER was met in July 1945 by the loan of WD's returned from the Continent, with the GWR taking 25 WD's and transfrerring 20 Stanier *F's (Swindon built ?) to the LMS

By Oct 1948, the LM® had three WD's, two from the LNER and one on loan.

The 1943 loan to the LMS would restrict your timescale, but locos were put into service as they returned from the Continent in 1945-47. As the WD's were great wanderers, they were likely to drift across company boundaries, which would be a good excuse to run one on any layout unless set in the North of Scotland or the Midland main line - but what the heck, it's your railway !

(I am justifying a Greley P2 on a South Wales line as being borrowed to test if the GWR needed to build a 2-10-2T to take iron ore trains up the Valley)

John

In total fifty were loaned to the LMS, (including first built WD 7000, which ran trials from St Rollox between 30/01/43 and 27/2/43).  Locos were run in from Eastfield, St Rollox, polmadie, Springs Branch and Patricroft - but this was before the locos were sent overseas and were therefore in WD markings.

It was only after nationalisation that the austerities began to be allocated to the London Midland Region.

The only photos I've seen of a WD tender lettered LMS was the one attached to the Scot and Big Lizzie for the Interchange Trials of 1948 over the Southern, where there were no water troughs. This was a bit of a swiz on behalf of Crewe(?) works because, as one commentator pointed out, the LMS never had any tenders so lettered and actually painted this one especially for the trials. This was in contravention of the edict that all participating engines had to be renumbered to BR numbers, which had indeed been done.

chaps thanks for the information

I think I may have to purchase one of these machines and repaint it into WD livery, you never know I may just accidentally livery it with LMS on the tender sides? After all it is my railway lol

Archived