Siemens Inspiro tube stock mockup

Talltim

• RMweb Premium

The front end is rather weird - but does that matter too much on a tube train which is not seen that much?

Except that around 2/3 of the network is above ground and where ever you are the first thing you usually see is the front of the approaching train.

I believe one if the issues with standard coaches with just a door and no corridor connection is on lightly loaded trains when someone vulnerable is stuck in a coach with someone predatory. Weren't the windows in the ends of the coaches added to help mitigate this issue?

I went to see this new tube train mock up yesterday and I was impressed with the design of it. For those wondering about the cab, the train IS going to be driverless like the DLR units, which does cause some concern to me due to the massive loss of jobs for drivers, especially those who have been working for London Transport all there lives and will have to go and find new jobs when these trains come into service, all because of some big German firm (Siemens) who are only doing it for money and have no interest in the lives of the employees.

The small exhibition also features the new ticket barriers which look nice which I felt depicts a basic tube station as you need to pass through the barriers to access the platform and the trains themselves.

Just my opinion of what I saw that's all.

Sam

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Rode on the new circle line stock yesterday and took a couple of pics to illustrate 3 things. First, the interior of the tube train of the future ain't that futuristic. Second, how open and airy the through design makes it feel, and third, how good the arrangement is on the join between the carriages. I would not have a problem walking across it when the train is in motion - it adjusts really well (I passed through Aldgate where it's very bumpy and tightly curved)

Interestingly the manufacturers have abandoned the custom of putting their name and year of manufacture on the door thresholds.

For the sensitive please do not zoom in on the interior pic or you will see a very strange Eastern European chap who took quite a dislike to being caught in the background of my photo.

post-12721-0-64186300-1384090209_thumb.jpg

post-12721-0-92779100-1384090222_thumb.jpg

As an aside on the theme of  TfL  I caught the 11 bus back from Victoria to Liverpool St. due to problems on LUL at Victoria. What a superb piece of kit the new Routemaster is. Just goes to show modern design can still be Iconic, imaginative and different. I hope the new RM is as reliable and long lived as its predecessor and deservedly becomes a part of the London cityscape.

all because of some big German firm (Siemens) who are only doing it for money and have no interest in the lives of the employees.

Siemens will just supply whatever their customer, ie TfL want, drivers or no-drivers it will be TfL choosing, not Siemens.

Regards

Keith

Around the red ring on the front is a gap that I was able to put my hand into. That would certainly be a dirt trap in service, and dirt might also accumulate around the pronounced white body mouldings at the front. Did someone say it looks like a tube of toothpaste? I didnt find the seats to be comfortable, and the aim appears just to squeeze as many people into the toothpaste tube as possible, which as a traveller I find to be very Uninspiro.   

I didnt find the seats to be comfortable, and the aim appears just to squeeze as many people into the toothpaste tube as possible, which as a traveller I find to be very Uninspiro.   

Seems to be standard practice now. The new-ish 378s on London Overground have incredibly hard seats: they're like sitting on a piece of cloth-covered board (that's if you can get one). The only comfortable seats are the few heavily-upholstered, tip-down ones in the wheelchair spaces. Stupidly, they've put lots of holding spaces in the doorways, so people congregate there, blocking the doors, rather than moving inside the carriages. It's as if many of the lessons of the last century of public transport design have been forgotten.

Paul

Archived