Hawksworth Dynamometer Car

I am looking at converting a Hornby Hawksworth Corridor3rd to represent the Hawsworth Dynamometer car used by BR(WR) in the early 1960s. I have seen an article in one of the modelling magazines recently which suggested that there was a need to modify the number/size of windows in the coach side? From all the pictures i can find it appears that the Hornby model of the Corridor 3rd is correct and also the pictures I can find of the coach in its days as a Dynamometer car appear to indicate that there were no modifications to the external windows of the coach, just to the interior to accommodate the the recording equipment?  Can anyone verify this?

• 2 weeks later...

Do a Google image search fo "DW150192". That should be a good start

You will see from the images provided, and depending how accurate you want to be, there are quite a few minor differences. Some of the differences are dependant on what year you will be modelling and with the interior what job the dyno car was employed on.

Noticeable differences were: some window sizes, generator room grill, roof access plates(to lift out the generator set), buffers, end details(Cable Entry/exits) and underframe components.

A good source of info is the A5 booklet "The Western Dynamometer Car" by T.D. Allen Civil. It provides a potted history of the vehicle and includes pictures and drawings. It comes up regularly on Ebay. There was also articles published in Railways Illustrated (Can't remember what issue or if it had been re-named to Modern Railways by 1961.), Railway Magazine and The Railway Gazette.

Here is a couple of links to set you on your way:

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/paulbartlettsrailwaywagonphotographs/h3B5B8220#h3b5b8220

http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=84

HTH

Porcy

post-9992-0-73328400-1382253009_thumb.jpg

On the compartment side at the right hand end the last compartment was replaced by a generator room and the one large framed window replaced by a louvred panel and a smaller window. The roof tanks have been altered with an additional drinking water tank and a exhaust deflector 

post-9992-0-86774300-1382253772_thumb.jpg

At the left hand end, the toilet is no longer a toilet and the frames window has been replaced by a single pane clear window. and roof water tank removed.

post-9992-0-20563700-1382253115_thumb.jpg

On the corridor side at the left hand end the smaller non framed window hs been replaced by a standard framed window causing the spacing between the door and replaced window and with second window to be reduced.

post-9992-0-29573200-1382253857_thumb.jpg

Underframe has become somewhat congected with additional fittings such as fuel tank for generator, gas tank for kitchen etc.

Hope this helps

MIke Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

This looks like a conversion I'll be doing in due course. How else can I justify a (modified) austerity at Oxford.

Sorry about quality of picture.

post-6902-0-21253800-1382304348.jpg

Also there is this useful picture giving some roof detail in the RMweb gallery:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/37632-ratcliffe-on-soar-hawksworth-coach-as-dynamometer-car-in-chocolate-and-cream-dec-69-c183/

Thanks

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Archived