Zkmo MXULF As a mini command station

Shropshire Lad

• RMweb Premium

Hi there I'm looking at buying a Zimo Mxulf module to update my decoders as well as for testing locos.

The info says says that you can drive locos and switch functions with it as well but does anyone know if you use it to program decoder CVs?

Cheers Colin

Yes, you can update decoder software, read and alter CVs, switch functions and load sound projects.  Currently, as a stand alone unit  it can also power single locos with a limited set of controls, but when the software is finally finished you will be able to connect to a computer giving full controls and the possibility of WiFi link to smartphones/ pads etc

Get one with a display panel, they are much easier to use.

Paul

Excellent, thanks for that Paul. Looks like there will be one heading for my workshop soon  then.

Hi Colin / Paul

I don't wish to disagree with any of Paul's suggestions / recommendations and I don't have any experience of the Zimo Mxulf module, but might not a Sprog (£ 100 cheaper) provide the solution Colin is looking for, in conjunction with the free JMRI software?

• RMweb Premium

You can't use a Sprog to update decoder software or load/modify sound files on decoders. I use JMRI on my main system for programming but to use in my workshop would require another PC so the Zimo option is by far the best for me. Thanks for the suggestion tho.

You can't use a Sprog to update decoder software or load/modify sound files on decoders. I use JMRI on my main system for programming but to use in my workshop would require another PC so the Zimo option is by far the best for me. Thanks for the suggestion tho.

Hi Colin

Thanks for the correction - helps me to understand the options further as well.

Best Wishes

I'd just caution to "not hold your breath" on Zimo releases.    

If the product does what you want, at a price you think fair, then its a solution to your needs.   

( Personally, I'd check the price of an old MXDECUP and a Sprog, and decide which is the better combination ).  

Zimo take their time on releasing new stuff.  Products and updates appear eventually, but it is frequently many years after the initial announcement.  And sometimes its not quite what was originally outlined.  

-  Nigel

Colin,

ZIMO software releases and updates are way more frequent than any other brand I have knowledge of. There is a road map for development of the MXULF already published with the first release, though as Nigel says, no timescale. However, from the roadmap, loco driving, display panel and SUSI updates have already been added to the first release. All the hardware and ports needed are already onboard, just need the software to be developed.

Forget other options if you want to load sound projects to ZIMO decoders, the MXULF, is the best by far even in its current state of development. With a decent battery providing power, you could even programme and test locos in the middle of a field.

The loco driving is currently restricted to one at a time, so consider this as a bonus 'test facility' for now.  You obviously have a DCC controller already for your layout so adding a SPROG will not enhance your set-up greatly.

The MXDECUP is a geat piece of kit, and would be useful to have as a back-up, but it is an older design and has only one function.

The MXDECUP, SPROG, and JMRI all require connection to a computer to operate. The MXULF is entirely stand alone and will suit your workbench scenario exactly. You load the sounds/ software updates from a USB Flash Drive, and the jog wheel and buttons to change CVs (programming). It is all Service Mode programming so reading the existing values is part of the process, though that's optional and can be omitted if you wish. 

There are other benefits that MXULF has already, but you'll have to either get one or wait for my next YT video to find out. Ha Ha.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Well Paul I've ordered one which should be here in the next few days (also ordered some function decoders which are out of stock at Digitrains so it'll have to wait til they come in)

Thanks for the Heads Up Nigel, it appears to do exactly what I need and it's around my price range. I initially looked at the cut down Lenz system for the bench but that is still a way off appearing I believe.

Looking forward to trying it out.

Archived