RAILWAY COACHES IN HULL

DOCJACOB

I was aware of some coaches that were part of the Railway Stand Craven Park Hull. I think they were used as "Tote" offices and were installed on scapping from the LNER stock circa 1940's.

They remained in situ until redevelopment of the area circa 1989. To my lasting shame I wasnt aware of them when I worked in Hull Royal Hospital in the early 80's.

There were 3 in total: GCR Lav Brake Compo 1663 and GCR 3rd 224 The third one that specifically interests me is ex Midland and NBR Joint Stock 3 compartment Brake 3rd 118

I'm also aware that bits and pieces were preserved; the GCR stuff ended up at Ruddington and the M+NBR bits are at the Midland railway Trust.  

My request is for any more decent images of the coaches in situ as I enclose one I've found. I've already been to all the usual sites (Hull Daily Mail has one more but its very poor quality) even the rugby club website with little joy.

post-16796-0-26999500-1381228932.jpg

Try searching for demolition of Craven Park, or old coaches at CP. I am sure that I have seen some good pictures of the coaches, when they demolished the stadium.

Can't try myself at the mo as at work.

Kevin

• RMweb Premium

As you rightly say three railway carriages were located at the ground having gone there on withdrawal in 1948. One was used as a buffet and the other 2 were used as tote boxes.

GCR Lavatory Brake Compo 1663 which had been the buffet was recovered and is on the GCR(N) - see link on VCT site http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org ... sp?Ref=824

GCR full third 224 was dismantled for spares by the GCRCG.

Midland and North British Joint 3 compartment brake third 118 was dismantled for spares by the Midland Railway Trust. This had been taken into LNER stock and was repainted in scumbled teak finish.

The 2 carriages that were scrapped both had no interior partitions and some body sections were missing. Apparently the back of the coaches were still in wartime painted brown lettered 'NE'. The ground closed in 1989 when Hull Kingston Rovers moved to a new site.

Archived