Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Standard 4MT drawings

I'm after recommendations for a decent 4mm drawing of these chunky brutes, and where to obtain them from please.

I am currently looking at detailing up the old dublo casting - is it worth doing?

Emma

... currently looking at detailing up the old dublo casting - is it worth doing?...

Depends what your objective is. Honestly, from a fine scale model point of view it is not a good starting point. While it is overall well proportioned, thus getting the character of the prototype; everywhere you look there are large and small deviations from the truth. Just look at the tank sides for a start.

I would seriously suggest that the Bachmann BR std 4MTT - one of their early Blue Riband range releases -  is a much better canvas on which to start. It's basically accurate, but can be improved significantly by upgrades to 'soft' or inadequate detail parts, and additions.

Gosh! - is that one a 'blast from the past' ?

If I had a Bachmann body, I'd have probably started from that. This is why I would like the drawings. I have the Beattie book, but seeing as the loco as drawn doesn't scale out at the published length............

As many are , I'm on a budget here, so Mr C,  unless you have a Bachy  shell you'd like to sell? :sungum:

Emma

.... I have the Beattie book, but seeing as the loco as drawn doesn't scale out at the published length............

A flaw not unknown with Beattie drawings - the one for the Bulleid Light Pacific is another clanger.

Unless you can get hold of the old Crownline detailing kit (which occasionally makes an appearance on eBay) for the Wrenn/HD model, you're going to be struggling to tart the body up. Some of the known deficiencies include:

- cabside windows are a little too small, for example, and you will need some pretty coarse files to open them up.

- chimney and clack valves need replacing, but probably not the dome or safety valves

- buffers need replacing

- needs whistle

- cast lubricators beside smokebox will need removing somehow and replacement with cast detail items

- needs pipe detail, especially manifold / carriage warming valve on top of and beside firebox.

- total replacement of all handrails

The mazak body casting is very tough to drill and file.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Emma,

Horsetan is right. I started on this project some years ago, the material in the Wrenn/HD model is extremely difficult to work and quite frankly the amount of modification involved is quite substantial.l IMHO, not really worth the effort, when the Baccy version came out I ditched the the thing and gave it away, maybe try to source a 2nd hand Baccy body, easier to work and more accurate.

Rgds..........Mike

I started doing one of these (new Xmas 1954) about 25 years ago, but put it on hold when I overdid it turning down one of the drivers - the fourth one obviously! (I was living in Italy at the time and a new one wasn't the easiest of things to get hold of...). My intention was then to regauge for EM, by simply resetting the wheels on their original axles. New bogie and pony wheels would have completed the chassis (except for detailing).

The story has a happy ending as she has since received new wheels and is restored to three rail running and has been joined by a few of her sisters.

I can confirm the hardness of Dublo mazak....

There are two versions of the body with three different numbers*. The first and commonest has a chimney cast integral with the boiler (80054). The others have a separate (and much better) chimney and  has the number 80033 or 80059. The latter is the rare 3 rail version and should be left well alone as highly collectable and could well make enough to finance the purchase of a Bachmann model.

* Later Wrenn versions are the same casting and come in a variety of liveries.

Thank you all for your replies.

Yes I agree, the mazack is hard but not unworkable, I have reduced the body to effectively a 'naked' form. I have found and ordered a Skinley drawing on Amazon, is thee any errors i that I should be aware of?

Once I find my xD card reader will be showing what I'm up to in another thread

Emma

Archived