Youtube videos stolen and re-uploaded

Coldgunner

If the video has no value to them, why would they be copying it in the first place

I am glad you were clever enough to realise that was the point of my remark. The vast majority of the rubbish put on utube actually has no value. Therefore why would anyone want to get so worked up trying to protect it and going to the lengths of trying to watermark it. If it really did have some monetary value, then such attempts would be worth removing for commercial gain. At which point the copyright lawyers could be involved and some/all of that gain returned to the owner.

But then we come back to the same solution - if you do not want it made public - do not give it away in the first place.

Thing is, I do get revenue from my youtube uploads, so it will cut into the limited money I do get. Whatever the quality of the upload, I object to someone else passing it off as theirs. In this case the uploader had a monetised account too, so was making money off my uploads.

I was suprised to see my content re-uploaded elsewhere, but this person had farmed a few channels for content.

Suffice to say, I lodged a complaint, the complaint was upheld and the channel has been removed.

Thing is, I do get revenue from my youtube uploads, so it will cut into the limited money I do get. Whatever the quality of the upload, I object to someone else passing it off as theirs. In this case the uploader had a monetised account too, so was making money off my uploads.

I was suprised to see my content re-uploaded elsewhere, but this person had farmed a few channels for content.

Suffice to say, I lodged a complaint, the complaint was upheld and the channel has been removed.

Sounds to me as if the problem was resolved. If not then employ a lawyer to recover the lost income.

I just do not understand what complaining on a Model Railway forum is going to do about the situation. Even if it was one of the members doing the "copying" (which I doubt is the case).

Ok it is nice to have a whinge on RMWeb about all sorts of events though that is usually placed in Wheeltappers where it belongs.

On the plus side it is good to know that the utube management provides a mechanism to resolve such matters.

Guest Belgian

I had a (relatively) successful business making video programmes for sale to enthusiasts, the revenue from which allowed me to go out and create more content which created a 'perfect' circle. I could do things others couldn't because all my time was spent on it and the cost of doing so was spread amongst my customers and we all benefitted. The Railway companies gave me privilidges not available to most people so I was able to give my customers the chance to enjoy those opportunities through my programmes. I was also able to employ others to create a professional-looking product.

However, there were some who didn't want to pay their 'share' by purchasing my programmes and they either borrowed them or bought one and copied it, selling 'their' copies at lower prices and making money for themselves. Gradually more and more of them did this until my revenue no longer covered my costs and my company went under. Some still appear om YouTube but I have only loaded a few clips there myself so any others on there have been copied from the original retail or pirated copies.

Personally, I wish fire and brimstone upon all who lie and cheat their way to attempting to make money for themselves off the efforts of others.

JE

It was something I wanted to bring to light, should any other members be affected by the same uploader, but it was nice to encourage discussion on copyright. The forms were a bit of a pain to fill in, but it was fortunately a clear cut case.

• 10 months later...

I know this thread is getting on in age but the OP makes a very valid point and those of you who decry him here should be ashamed!

I'd imagine if someone broke into your home and took your models and sold them you might feel differently?

Theft is theft!.

I see it ended well for the scum bag however UK Railways Railscenes has been terminated because we've received multiple third-party claims of copyright infringement regarding material that the user posted

But I would not mind betting they have started up another one.

Stay vigilant and well done for flagging this up

Chaps, maybe we need to have a central place that those of us who value our YouTube and other online material can share examples of these criminals?

Might give us the heads up when theft has taken place and we could support each other.

A facebook group springs to mind unless the admins here would be happy to host such a facility here?

I consider myself very lucky, that I have not had any of my content from YouTube stolen...yet/not that I know of.
I am a frequent uploader on YouTube, and while I do not earn any revenue from it, I would hate to see someone else take credit for something I did. (Wouldn't we all?)

I film all of my videos, and I edit them. Although what I produce isn't brilliant, why should someone else take credit for it?

I do know of one channel, that while he uses his own footage, does not use his own display picture (Thumbnail) for the videos.

I never used to put my channel name on my videos. However, I started to around a year and a half ago, due to fear of my content being stolen.

I tend to generate the thumbnail from the video itself, I pick a key frame then snapshot it in VLC. Occasionally I'll use a specific shot, but that's unusual for me. All my own work though.

I do make my own, but just not with a singular frame. 

I take two frames from the video, and compress them to a quarter size of the screen each, then put one in the top right corner and one in the bottom left. I then put my channel name in the top left, and the video title in the bottom right. All of the thumbnail is therefore all my own work

Like this (Old channel name):

post-20657-0-57900100-1419782042_thumb.jpg

So, you're concerned that people may, or may not, steal your video from YT. Well:

1) you don't pay for the server that stores the video

2) you don't pay for said server to be maintained and eventually replaced, w/o loss of service

3) you don't pay for the bandwidth from said server to anyone watching the video

4) anyone watching the video is targeted with highly customised ads you have no control over, because that's the way YT (Google!) makes money

So, in short: if you don't want your video to be taken, don't upload that video in the first place! :rolleyes:

I do it, as it is very nearly the only thing I seem to find enjoyment in.

We can't help what we like doing, and as I like filming/editing/uploading, why should I stop?

Blu-ray, DVD etc. is far easier to copy, just because its available through an open medium, doesn't make it alright to copy it. Google puts the ads on my video's, I can choose the type of ads displayed, and when they are displayed. Google makes the lions share of the advertising revenue from my work, which does pay for the server maintenance and upkeep.

So, you're concerned that people may, or may not, steal your video from YT. Well:

2) you don't pay for said server to be maintained and eventually replaced, w/o loss of service

3) you don't pay for the bandwidth from said server to anyone watching the video

4) anyone watching the video is targeted with highly customised ads you have no control over, because that's the way YT (Google!) makes money

So, in short: if you don't want your video to be taken, don't upload that video in the first place! :rolleyes:

Look, I have no wish to have a ruck with you but your answers show you don't have any idea of how copyright law works here or for that matter the world over.

While we don't pay directly for the services offered we are still protected by UK law and international law.

I do know this trust me.

And yes, as you observe YouTube is ad supported, that's fine with most of us.

But just to clarify, it does not matter what medium you use to publish your work or material you are without any doubt protected by copyright laws, especially on YouTube.

I don't know about video, but in the USA, for images, you send a cd of your images with a small fee to a government registration service. If you then decide to go to court, against an infringer, then you will most likely win. If you can afford to pay for the lawyers, that is. Then there is the arguments wrt 'fair usage'. It is all quite simple - if you don't want someone to use what you post, don't post, Copyright law is confusing, and expensive, so it is generally cheaper to adjust your attitude to that sort of theft.

However, a few years ago, I put an acquaintance in touch with these guys http://tineye.com/, she found a magazine had unknowingly used some of her images (passed to them by someone else). She recovered a few thousand dollars, iirc. Generally, an established company will pay up if requested, but it is based on value of the image. I think the majority of u-tube videos and images of model railway stuff, are of not much value, and would not be worth getting lawyers involved, unless they were stolen by a magazine or catalogue, and then a tenner would probably be the value.

Best wishes,

Ray

• RMweb Premium

I think you have missed the point.  Copying something to keep for your own is one thing, but the problem here is that somebody is copying stuff and then re-publishing it as their own work, and that is a clear offence in British law.

Dave.

So chaps and ladies, what can we do to organise a bit, we need a place that we can do what the PO did here and alert others to offences so we can take action.

Does anyone know how to contact the admin here to see if they would like to host a board for it, or do we do something else?

Archived