Bachmann GP38-2 DCC fitted? (HO)

stock_2007

Hi sorry if this has been asked about before, but has anyone had any dealings with the Bachmann GP38-2 DCC fitted. I've been looking at one in the new NS livery but in the past US Bachmann loco's have always seemed a bit toy like.

As always any help is very welcome.

I had a Bachmann Geep (forget exactly what) for a while that was Factory DCC Fitted. It was no great shakes to be honest. The motor buzzed quite a bit even with back-emf turned off & set for DCC-only operation.

Other issues were that the body wobbled on the trucks, and the big slot in the pilots under the couplings, shades of 'old Athearn Blue Box'....

I think it was just a 'standard' model, not Spectrum. A bit of a pity really, as I'm very tempted by the Bachmann SD40 in CSX dark blue, but I'm very wary of how it might run....

I've read that particularly the newer Bachmann locos aren't bad runners. I know people who have a recent GP7, and they report it runs just fine. It does make a bit more noise than an Atlas for example, and detailing isn't as fine as others, but with a bit of modelers license and some weathering they make good engines.

For some unbiased experiences, and what they can be like, have a look here, it might just convince you :-)

http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5392&p=101902&hilit=bachman#p101902

Koos

I've one of those GP38 in NS on Helm,i ripped the decoder out and put a NCE Bac-dsl board replacement,there no motor noise and it runs slow,there not bad pullers had mine pulling 30 cars.

I tighten the screw on top of the bogie towers which helped stop the wobble,the details not the best,but for the price there ok.

A couple of people at a exhibiton ask if it was Atlas because it ran so smooth!!

post-13979-0-99828800-1381418728_thumb.jpg

Like Jordan,i'm thinking of trying the SD40-2,if the price is right.

Ray

Archived