Odd characters

• RMweb Gold

I'm intrigued by this, as I use No-Script in Firefox, so I thought I'd try posting in reply to Martin's earlier comment with RMWeb blocked (I normally allow it).

As you have mentioned, the HTML formatting appears in the edit box for the quoted portion of text. I'll be interested to see if it removes all formatting from this reply.

Al.

No, apparently not...

Al

That is executed in javascript on the client side rather than php on the server so that the quoted section remains neat while the user is editing it.

Martin.

Thanks Martin, that confirms my conclusion that it is happening client side - this must have been a change made by IPB from the earlier version as they have madly fallen in love with doing everything through javascript. Always good to know that errors can be reproduced.

The whitespace issue is related, I believe. As you saw above a post in the quick reply has its keyed-in line breaks removed during the posting process. I actually think these are 'coded out' because if the compressed post is then simply edited they reappear. The dirty way around this is to enter two of the html code breaks for each line break (in addition to pressing return key in the textbox) The post then appears exactly as it appears in the edit box. While the edit process works it also of course introduces more non-break spaces.

Interestingly, when tried testing posting with JavaScript turned off yesterday I had to google to find out how to turn it off in Firefox as the latest versions have the option removed from the UI

Sadly Firefox is going has gone down the same drain as IE and Chrome started in. That of corporate control and poor decision making, upgrades that add nothing of use and resulting in slow everlasting fixing of buggy and bloated code. The traditional openness of development has been sacrificed on the "we know what's best for you alter".

Sure there are add-ons available to get round the security bugs introduced by the Firefox developers but even these are now becoming overwhelmed with the continual chase to resolve the black holes of the web. Removing the simple on/off check box and forcing users into delving into the potentially troublesome area of about:config is a massive retrograde step. What next? Removal of the ability to remove default home page. Probably the most annoying and dangerous hole used to gain control over the Browser that can not only change each new tab opened but also change search engine preferences and even collect data from from browser cache and history.

It can be confusing enough for users without them finding that items are removed from menus (the right click one seems a regular target) and even controlling navigation within tabs.

• RMweb Gold
Removing the simple on/off check box and forcing users into delving into the potentially troublesome area of about:config is a massive retrograde step.

If the free Web Developer add-on is installed in Firefox, turning off javascript is easy:

post-1103-0-35981400-1383737420.png

The biggest retrograde step in recent Firefox upgrades has been the decision to zoom all web pages to reflect the screen dpi setting. For users who prefer 120dpi (Windows Medium size) this means that every web page has to be zoomed out to 80% (CTRL+MINUS twice) in order for 1px in the source to represent 1 pixel on the screen, matching other browsers. It is a moot decision for text, but absolutely crazy for images.

Martin.

If the free Web Developer add-on is installed in Firefox, turning off javascript is easy:

Sure, but the requirement to use an add-on (or multiple ones) for such basic configuration is the issue. We have to rely on the add-on developers to play catch-up with the retrograding of the main browser while the main browser developers continue to try to justify their existence by the addition of more and more bloat code and unwanted "features". Just like Microsoft, Apple and other programmers they just cannot help themselves without tinkering and breaking good functioning code. I do wish that they would leave well alone. Users simply do not need all these changes for change sake.

Archived