The Wickham Works List

Tricky-CRS

Oh I was hoping it gave details of the main types, including pictures.

Just been up to the library (sic) and dug out the tome.

The "picture" on the front cover (page behind the plastic acetate of the ring binder) and that is of an unclear works plate. The only details are two pages of "history" as introduction and 1 page of a table of "Types". The rest is as I described above, up to page 129 and then 13 pages of "end notes" followed by copies of the adverts and finally 6 pages of images of various types.

The best book for information on all things Wickham is Wickham of Ware (a history of D Wickham & Co Ltd Railcar Manufacturers) by Loxley (Rodney) Ford & James Cooper (Rockingham Press) ISBN 1-873468-407 with quite a few photos and a complete read. Sadly no scale diagrams or useful engineering diagrams.

I always am a little suspect of photos of the "preserved" anything as being genuine. Many of the photos on that site are of "personalised" trolleys (think pimp up my car). Also somewhere on the web that complete works list was published - but it was an obscure site (I've long lost the url) and a simple basic copy of the original so may have been disappeared. (knowing how some people see the presentation of historical facts as somehow copyrightable.

Archived