Hornby Railroad MGRs.

Hi All,

I have recently bought myself a pack of Hornby Railroad MGRs. They look pretty good for the price, I am just wondering what needs to be done to improve them. I am not planning to go over the top with them though. I have read somewhere that the wagons had 14mm wheels is this correct?

Pic below shows 14mm wheels under the wagon on the right.

Thanks Peter.

post-7022-0-45800200-1381625480_thumb.jpg

The haa wagon does indeed has 14mm wheels. The only thing is they were disc braked with a brake disc on 1 wheel per axle on opposite sides.

Thanks, putting the 14mm wheels in wont be a problem, I will have a look out for some brake disc etches to add to one side.

Cheers Peter.

Colin craig does some good etched disc brake inserts, just need a bit of superglue to attach. I may be worth asking if someone like colin can supply the wheels with the discs already done.

Thanks for that, just had a look at Colins website, I might get some discs for some other wagons while I am at it.

Cheers Peter.

Remove the EWS graffiti.

Yes I will do that, does the frame need repainting though?That colour looks ok for some of the wagons knocking around in the mid 80s I might repaint some the lighter orange too, anyone know what colour that was? It looks a bit like the railfreight Orange that was used on the top of Railfreight VEAs VDAs etc.

Cheers Peter.

Hi All,

I have recently bought myself a pack of Hornby Railroad MGRs. They look pretty good for the price, I am just wondering what needs to be done to improve them. I am not planning to go over the top with them though. I have read somewhere that the wagons had 14mm wheels is this correct?

Pic below shows 14mm wheels under the wagon on the right.

Thanks Peter.

If you want to do up the RR versions, the beast and most effective way would be:

- Change the wheels for metal ones

- Change the couplings to narrow tension-lock version (if funds permit then add NEM pockets with a copling of your choice)

- Add metal or more realistic buffers (sprung/un-sprung your choice)

- Weather them if you desire.

If you want to do up the RR versions, the beast and most effective way would be:

- Change the wheels for metal ones

- Change the couplings to narrow tension-lock version (if funds permit then add NEM pockets with a copling of your choice)

- Add metal or more realistic buffers (sprung/un-sprung your choice)

- Weather them if you desire.

Thanks HornbyFAN,

I will be changing the wheels the ones on them are only fit for the bin. I use Kadees so the couplers will go. The buffers will stay for now more of a cost thing really and I will weather them.

Cheers Peter.

• 1 year later...

Archived