Receipts for cash purchases

colbard

Hi all,

Normally at shows do traders give receipts for cash purchases? - I didn't think they did.

Until now, not an issue for me personally for many years until I've recently tried to call in a 'bad purchase' of an 03 shunter - no receipt, no warranty.

Interested to hear others take on it?

thanks

colbard

If you ask for one they are obliged and if the purchase is significant in value or has the potential to go wrong I would oblige them to give me one.

IIRC they have to give a receipt by law if they are VAT registered over a certain amount, but the customer can always refuse to pocket it.

So in the end it is down to the customer. I'd nearly always try to pay by credit card as that gives you so much extra security.

As above, if you want one, ask for one. If the trader says he can't or won't give a receipt, buy elsewhere. I'm happy to pay cash and not bother with a receipt for a packet of fishplates or a buffer stop ie: low value items, but if spending more money or there's a chance that your purchase may in the future need warranty attention, definitely don't walk away without a receipt. I haven't been to a show for quite some time and was unaware that small traders accepted credit cards, but in the age of chip and pin and wireless devices, if this is the case, as Kenton says, use your flexible friend. In the event of any aftersale issues, you have extra protection.

It can cause a few problems with warranties.  I've only had to get two Dapol warranty repairs done- a pacific with valve gear that had had a transit shock, and a Class 26 which, despite being too young to smoke, came to a halt at Wigan show in front of an audience with smoke billowing from one cab- totally against the indoor smoking policy of the Sports Centre!

Both of these had been purchased from Dapol's stands at shows, and neither had a receipt (the 26 had no warranty card either...)   It took a bit of evidence gathering to get enough to get free repairs.

All the very best

Les

Archived