Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001 Macclesfield Show 20th&21st April 2024

87023Velocity

Bit more scenic work progressed tonight. Chris called over and finished constructing the blocks of pallets. These just need some weathering/wash to tone them down then fix to the hardstanding.

post-6834-0-32710800-1505253433_thumb.jpg

Whilst Chris was doing that I managed to fit some missing droppers in the fiddleyard. Somehow I had overlooked in the rush to get ready for Wigan so some stretches of track in the FY were only electrically connected via the fishplates.

Bit more done on 08784, varnish sprayed on with a touch of white added to fade the blue. The cab roof has also been dry brushed with sleeper grime to allow the blue to show through as per the prototype. The side rods have also had a wash of black added but think I may go over with some white as the yellow looks too bright.

post-6834-0-34305200-1505253749_thumb.jpg

The next stage will be to apply some suitable brown paint to run between the nooks and crannies and also use some powders.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 8

Thanks Cav, got a bit more done to the sides and roof. Still think rods could do with another wash applying maybe a pale yellow. Ideally I would like thinner rods but don't think any are available at the minute.

post-6834-0-47485000-1505316868_thumb.jpg

post-6834-0-51881700-1505316889_thumb.jpg

Not sure what to do regards adding pipes yet as not decided on couplers yet. Where as trains passing through Dallam on the fixed formations can have a fully detailed bufferbeam, the locos for Dallam sidings and RMT need fully working couplings each end for shunting.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 10

Thanks Jonas, Cav. ;) Still got the underframe to highlight the springs with traces of oil etc.

Last night after working on the layout for a few hours a couple (or 10)train moves were undertaken, purely testing purposes and not playing.

West Coast Push pull overtakes the southbound Freightliner rake. Ps just noticed the pan down on the 90!

And 37710 heading south with scrap empties 2 wagons have been tagged.

60061 heading North on a MGR service. 156420 Heading towards WBQ with a service to Llandudno.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 9

Thanks Jeremy, got the 2 Transrail 56's to do which are partial resprays along with the modified MW jumpers. Also got an Electra graphics 175 conversion from a Farish 170 to do aswell. Then there is the 2 Farish 47's which will have cut back buffer beams , 1 in Virgin and 1 in RES.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity

Thanks Cav, got a bit more done to the sides and roof. Still think rods could do with another wash applying maybe a pale yellow. Ideally I would like thinner rods but don't think any are available at the minute.

attachicon.gif2017-09-13 16.30.58.jpg

attachicon.gif2017-09-13 16.30.32.jpg

Not sure what to do regards adding pipes yet as not decided on couplers yet. Where as trains passing through Dallam on the fixed formations can have a fully detailed bufferbeam, the locos for Dallam sidings and RMT need fully working couplings each end for shunting.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

Great videos, you have really shown the beauty of N gauge. The long trains running next to each other look awesome :sungum: .

The repaints are also amazing, it is always motivating to see what is possible.

I will be interested to see how your 08 ends up. I have a similar Dilemma on my layout. I always think adding a bit of detail the buffer beam to get something realistic makes a huge difference, there is nothing that looks more out of place on a model than the couplers. But then I want to shunt, ideally at both ends :scratchhead:. I think I might just have to accept one end only for shunting.

Regards

Dave    

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the comments. Yes its capability to model a real location with prototypical train lengths which attracted me to go down the N gauge route. I am still doing 4mm aswell though.

Chris sent me a message the other day about there should be a breakdown crane and vans so I sent him this image as a joke, it does not fit, there seems to be an issue with the back to backs. ;)

post-6834-0-77642400-1505470738_thumb.jpg

Apologies to people who have seen my crane thread. Seriously though I do want to do a n gauge version and have got a few ideas how to do the running gear so hmm better look for all my plasticard. All I can say is the above one took around 2 years to get to the stage above and its still not finished. It may be quicker to do the vans first then the crane.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 8

Chris 'Springs Branch' reminded me this morning about some wagons EWS had made to carry road trailers. Would look a bit different marshalled in an Intermodal rake. From what I can read and remember they were not that successful and were eventually removed from service, I believe some never actually carried any traffic at all, not sure how true that is. From the pictures I can find show only ParcelForce trailers being carried. Time to look for some drawings.........

This picture linked from Flickr shows this FHA in use during 1999 and pictures show them in use during 2002 but not found out when they were withdrawn.

9207845654_e54fdf72db_z.jpgFHA_83704969xxx by wagonsontheweb, on Flickr

I should not be looking for more things to build when still got lots of unfinished jobs on the go! :nono:  :jester:

Cheers

Simon

It doesn't help with the question of when they were withdrawn, but I came across another shot of these wagons today when searching for interesting ideas during a very quiet friday afternoon at work.

I am modelling mid 90s WCML so a little late for me, but i will be folliwng with interest if you do decide to give them a go.   

https://www.flickr.com/photos/keithmcgovern1/36365272056/in/photolist-rpjn9v-dh8Vbp-qTmkL9-4rm1xX-B2squi-oAGWwZ-dHw7FS-hbEjUJ-XP96nB-jvATbK-9M8ocy-nk9D2U-Xptwrf-dhXKFE-k5UK7K-jrUBoo-p9yc7N-SdqAsa-9CY6vi-fm6Lbp-mNvD48-fFtH4J-oYWS3Z-nivb1o-hyiYVn-j9u22N-Q3ejtf-fm6K9g-fPP93a-fmkWwj-9GyEaw-dvco7d-dPVqNn-8XE3wb-dqi25L-HhHTiS-bUnqPH-dZ6ArN-mQ4MCJ-dzQujY-9qP2VT-pKy6k2-9RTQS1-dMrjqh-gMfq2A-FGyJ5Y-jK5CU4-ksGokt-aAZVxN-ny13rs

Hi David, it would be good to include them, think the underframes would need to be made from brass to keep it all nice and solid. The trailers could be scratchbuilt using parts from Oxford Diecast maybe.

Another running clip. Recently weathered 08784 on the trip with the DRS 20's heading north.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 5

Back to 1991 and 2 CD based Intercity 47/4 pool locos head south to Crewe for fuel from Preston. Probably been working the Preston to Blackpool North drags.

post-6834-0-75818900-1505854602_thumb.jpg

Thought I would take this pic as they are soon to be resprayed. As mentioned a few posts back, 1 will be a Virgin liveried loco possibly 47847 and the other a RES 47/7 not decided on number yet.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 10

Back to 1991 and 2 CD based Intercity 47/4 pool locos head south to Crewe for fuel from Preston. Probably been working the Preston to Blackpool North drags.

attachicon.gif2017-09-19 21.45.47.jpg

Thought I would take this pic as they are soon to be resprayed. As mentioned a few posts back, 1 will be a Virgin liveried loco possibly 47847 and the other a RES 47/7 not decided on number yet.

Cheers

Simon

Don't worry about respraying them, they look just fine like that! He he!!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Lol, well here is another early 90's shot. Chris just mentioned to me on WhatsApp about the class 90 driver training runs that happened between Springs Branch and Warrington using one of the MGR rakes.

So could not resist.

post-6834-0-50401600-1505856701_thumb.jpg

This 90 will become 90029 in DB red.

Here is a picture showing one of the driver training runs to Preston with 90025

https://www.flickr.com/photos/39670739@N05/10243278933/in/photolist-gBatXt-b3Vm54-bwjv49-e8MDRy-qvnN5w-nxRJyi-7bV58S-bKefeP-qAMec8-7cCrX5-7cyxXz-rLYsXs-ou1pgE-oux4pF-rpY2jA-rpSSaT-9Dznwm-7bU4XG-bjMAyg-n2zFUn-ou1f3Q-hTKdFp-hZiqUR-eee5sW-6jtFaB-oeSrVc-CkvXDX-xgCZje-gbXpnW-r6ejt4-rpnLs8-ocT8Rp-r91bG2-rq2KFB-rnJvhU-rnJV39-Y2wzSs-M23sJJ-nYjZdr-QdZgJB-x6CTwc-x5Sqb5-x4oLEC-rmRvoe-xhcwfV-wZ1cLU-x6BwrD-xgCQAH-sytK6S-wjLbep

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 10

Made a start on the first of the class 47's cut back bufferbeam mods. Using a Farish class 57 as a guide for cutting the bodywork away and then also using the 57 buffer beam moulding to check alignment.

Here is progress so far. The original 47 bufferbeam mouldings will be modified to match the 57 moulding.

post-6834-0-57257500-1506182206_thumb.jpg

Other work required will be fit wire handrails on the cab front, NRN roof ariel, boiler port to fill and headlight to fit before painting can start on the body. The underframe battery box area needs modifying to represent a long range fuel tank as fitted to 47721.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 6

Looking good bud. I am planning a cut away conversion on one of my 47s to do a tinsley RfD loco. Not sure which I will do it as yet though.

Thanks Cav, hmm think there would be quite a few namers you could pick from and there was the famous 47299 with its painted name Ariadne.

Forgot to add to my earlier post, 56070 is basically done except for weathering and replacement brass buffers which I will pick up from N Brass next week at Wigan.

Here she is so far, NRN aerials been added.

post-6834-0-04273000-1506192232_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 10

As you may have noticed, I seem to always have 2-3 projects on the go at once, probably like alot of people. Well the next project is a class 170 conversion to a 175. I am using the Etched Pixels kit and Electra Graphics printed sides and cab front. I have also noticed that class 180 bogies are available on Shapeways so may get some to replace the incorrect Sprinter type bogies.

I decided to fabricate the air dam from plasticard rather than use the etched brass one with the kit. The plastic glues straight to the body with plastic weld and can also be sanded to shape.

post-6834-0-99023700-1506283132_thumb.jpg

The etched roof has also been fitted. Once the glue had dried, green filler was applied upto the etch and then sanded to profile to blend the etch into the body.

Progress so far, the printed sides take away alot of work. First time I have used any so will be interesting to see how easy they go on.

post-6834-0-56514500-1506283326_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 7