The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

BBC subtitles

woodenhead

Watching BBC News this morning whilst down the gym.

Had to rely on subtitles, article on Free Schools and the subtitles referred to Nick Clegg as neck plague.

Well it made me laugh, but seriously if you were deaf how could you rely on the accuracy of subtitles when watching a programme. Even pre-recorded stuff like Panorama was full of mistakes or the subtitles flashed so fast you had no chance to read them.

I use subtitles a lot as I find difficulty focussing my hearing but I would hate to have to rely on them. Surely the BBC has a responsibility to get them right.

• RMweb Premium

Yes and so does all the other TV channels. Unfortunately, it is VERY labour intensive to produce good quality subtitles on prepared programmes and impossible to have 100% accurate subtitles on live TV. So I never watch BBC or any other TV news channels as I have been deaf all my life.

I HATE ITV for not providing subtitles on any of their catch up TV programmes apart from "Coronation Street"!

Ironically I am just about able to listen to Radio 4 news in my car!

Voice recognition software is improving - it is considerably better now at assisting the audibly impaired than it was 5 years ago. It is considerably better than 30 years ago when there was nothing. It will be likely that it will continue to improve and no doubt like a cure for cancer one day in the future it might be everything wanted now. But in the meantime like all progress we have to take it a step at a time.

But for me I'd like to be able to switch it off - just like the guy with the flapping arms.

Part of the problem lies in the use of "speech to text" software that does NOT have a "Context" checker built in, and partly the software has to cope with huge multiples of different voices, speech patterns, and accents - it does NOT have the ability to be "Trained" like "Dragon Naturally Speaking", which "learns" the speech patterns and accent of the user - It is noticable on Sky News, as an example, that it gets most of the Newsreaders speech correct - it is the guests, foreign correspondents, and interviewees that produce some really odd text

Archived