AIRFIX - AF1003 - 5 Pole Loco Electric Motor for Airfix Loco Motor

richard-g8jvm

I've tried googling for this, without success.

Anyone got any info on theses. Cheltenham Model Center have them, are they open frame like an X04,

size and shaft diameter/length would be nice to know.??

I'm trying to replace all the old 3 pole X04 motors in my somewhat ancient loco stock,

TIA

Richard

I think locomotive Airfix motors were open frame - certainly were in the 14xx Autotank and the Prairie. These would need a way to mount them in Tri-ang/Hornby models as they do not have locating lugs of the X03/X04 and may also be slightly taller. A direct way to replace an X03/X04 is with an MW developments 005 motor. These are five pole and have the same mounting lugs as an X03/X04. Identifiable as the brush mounting plate is under the pole piece rather thanon top giving shorter brush arms than the X03/X04. They are fairly common secondhand. A picture of one here in post 9 by bertiedog http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/14256-what-make-is-this-motor/. Jepson also made replacement 5 and 7 pole direct replacement motors for the X03/X04 but these are uncommon.

I've contacted the dealer who has quiet a few of these and from the description its the same motor thats used in the Airfix 14xx 0-4-2 T.

The target for replacement is an old Hornby 57xx pannier tank 0-6-0. which IIRC uses an X04 3 pole motor.

Can anyone tell me how Hornby fixed the worm on the shaft ?, was the shaft inserted with the worm hot , then allowed to shrink to an interference fit

when cold ??, or did they weld/solder it on ?.

The bottom line is do they come off, if the shaft size is the same or slightly smaller than the Airfix AF1003, how much of the shaft needs to be in the worm

to keep it aligned, as the shaft on the AF1003 is only about 1/2" long.

If the shaft is smaller on the AF1003 than the X04 , would any of the Romford gears fit a Hornby axle, a 50:1 reduction would be nice

TIA

Richard

might be a typo. only reference I can find for AF is their AF 1004 which has quite a disparity in price as well as voltage with the CMC listing

http://www.airfix.com/shop/aircraft/accessories/af1004-airfix-electric-motor-124/

they might be getting mixed up with the old mrrc 1003 motor. But I doubt there are many shops with those still on the shelf. Best to email CMC as to what it is exactly and see if you can get some specs off them

Thanks for the info,

I missed a X04 5 pole on ebay yesterday , complete with worm, I increased my bid in the last 10 secs and it didn't get in fast enough :(

I phoned CMC today, no data sheet, but the description was that of the same as fitted to the old 14xx. CMC price is £15 plus £4 p+p

I've contacted the dealer who has quiet a few of these and from the description its the same motor thats used in the Airfix 14xx 0-4-2 T.

The target for replacement is an old Hornby 57xx pannier tank 0-6-0. which IIRC uses an X04 3 pole motor.

Can anyone tell me how Hornby fixed the worm on the shaft ?, was the shaft inserted with the worm hot , then allowed to shrink to an interference fit

The bottom line is do they come off, if the shaft size is the same or slightly smaller than the Airfix AF1003, how much of the shaft needs to be in the worm

to keep it aligned, as the shaft on the AF1003 is only about 1/2" long.

If the shaft is smaller on the AF1003 than the X04 , would any of the Romford gears fit a Hornby axle, a 50:1 reduction would be nice

TIA

Richard

The Triang/Hornby X04 motor worms were an interference fit.  They can be removed carefully without damaging the worm.  I tend to hold the worm in a vice, with small wood shims either side to protect the worm, then tap out the motor shaft with a hammer onto a nail.  They usually come out OK.  If you have a few of them to do, then a worm removal tool might be a good idea.

Airfix did do an open frame direct X04 replacement - I have some installed myself in place of X04s.  I have also wondered about trying to fit an Airfix 5 pole motor out of the Prairie into an X04 slot, although the size and mounting lugs are different as mossdp says in his reply.

Archived