Mortar "paint"

Paul26e

Hi to all users of RM Web.

At an exhibition (probably 5/6 years ago) I saw a demonstration of a new product for representing mortar on brickwork.

It was a cream like substance that was wiped over a sheet of painted brickwork and filled the mortar gaps. This left a good representation of mortar.

I think it was quite expensive for what it was.

My friend thought it looked like easywhite!

Anyone have any idea what it was called? Anyone used it? I am planning a model of a large factory and I don't fancy dry brushing!

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Paul

I would think that any slow drying paint would do the job. I'd try artists oil paint applied using a soft cloth. It works quite well but does tend to lighten the brick colour in my experience. Have you seen the video in the Hornby "advertorial" thread in the "Weathering, Painting and Transfers" forum?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/76775-product-spotlight-humbrol-enamel-washes-weathering-powders/

It shows using a wash to infill mortar on brickwork worth a watch.

Guest Celticwardog

It may have been modelmates brick joint filler but paint (I prefer wenamel as you have to quick wiping it off with acrylic) works just as well, in fact the brick joint filler is a bit too white and looks odd.

I used a very thin wash and built up of slightly off white acrylic for my tunnel mouth on grange lane and it looks alright you can get white acrylic paint £2.50 for a small tube at places like the range

Brian

Hi,

it is also worth baring in mind that mortar colour differs a great deal from building to building and also the original mortar colour when weathered changes the colour completely.

I have also found that mortar colour can change the overall brick colour effect, in other words, No70 brick red with say Humbrol No147 for mortar will make the brick colour look different than if you use No 79 or 64 with it for example,its as if you have changed the brick colour its worth experimenting :-)

cheers

Peter

Guest Celticwardog

On one other note, discovered completely by accident. Once the building has been mortared and dry brushed, if you do a small section of mortar again in a lighter colour you used originally it portrays a very convincing effect that someone has done some repointing, for added realism.

Hi

Thank you to all who replied to this topic.

The product I was thinking of is the stuff in Crompton Nut's post.

Currently planning a large factory and may try to post some pictures in due course.

Many Thanks

Paul

the brick joint filler is a bit too white and looks odd.

I was originally just going to say that it only looks too white for modern cement mortar, not the old lime mortar that was very white indeed.

Then it crossed my mind to wonder when lime mortar was phased out.  Can any architectural historians on here enlighten us?

Archived