If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

old Monaco Monte Carlo station photos

mrhods

Hi. New to the forum. Can anybody help with photos of the old Monaco train station. I think it was demolished in 2000. I'm after any pics of the platform and the frontage, which I think had a cafe. I see that some pics were uploaded about a year ago and that someone with the name 'old lugger'said he lived there.

Kind regards to all.

I've found very little published on the old railway through Monaco but have managed to piece together quite a few elements. Basically the route through the principality was diverted underground in the mid 1960s to release land for property development. A parallel interest in motorsport means that I have scoured footage and stills of the Formula 1 race to identify dates - up until around 1965 the station still appears at was was then called the station hairpin (now Loews Hotel). By 1968 the track was lifted and the station there demolished, but there was also I understand another grander station in the centre of town. The majority of the old route of the railway is now a road but the centre area where the old main station was has been redeveloped although some of the tunnels are used for roads. Towards the French side the route is partly intact with two short tunnels in situ and unredeveloped, The ballast there suggests that the track in this area may have remained in place on at least one of the two former running lines until relatively recently, as a siding.

You can have quite good fun tracing the course of the railway on Google Earth/Google Maps.

Archived