Harrogate station frontage pre 65

jessy1692

Evening all, seeing how the builders are are in in the oldest surving bit of Harrogate station renovating it into a pub like the York Taps, its got me wondering how it used to look, now theres a couple of pics of the pre 65 rebuild on google images but there a bit limited so im wondering if anyone on here has anything stashed away any where?

Iv got all the railways around Harrogate books but the frontage does seem to be a bit elusive, just trying to gather a bit of info for that i may get round to building one day.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Cheers

James

Ahh yes the step back in time pic, thats actually the display in the waiting room on platform 1 (which i completely forgot about even though im on the oposite platform on a morning now!) ill have a look in thw morning. Such a shame it was pulled down for the current office block.

Thanka for the memory jog ph!

James

James, there's an earlier picture of that frontage in an article titled 'Railways Around Harrogate' in 'Steam Days' for May 2002. It's as it was after improvements made in the 1890s. The building doesn't appear to extend any closer to the camera than the section with the arch over the street level window and the dormer window, just this side of the glass canopy. That was a parcels office, with doors and windows in the wall at right angles to the frontage, and a glass canopy projecting from that wall too.

It's a long time since I was on Harrogate station - the last time I arrived there was behind a Deltic!

Cheers for the info PH, ill keep looking around, think a trip to the lirbrary might be in order to look at some newspapers from 65, knowing Harrogate there will have been a great debate and maybe some pics of the demolition which could be useful.

All good info for that layout ill build one day!

Cheers

James

PS wish i could go back and get some decent trains on my trip to work, 142's &150's just arnt the same as a deltic no matter how hard you imagine....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmm cheers david, ill search tht one out dnt think me dads git it. Interestingly coming through the station today they have hung up pictures from the ceiling and lo and behold a nice pic of the concourse in the 60s, thank you northern rail!

Cheers chaps

• 3 years later...

Evening all, seeing how the builders are are in in the oldest surving bit of Harrogate station renovating it into a pub like the York Taps, its got me wondering how it used to look, now theres a couple of pics of the pre 65 rebuild on google images but there a bit limited so im wondering if anyone on here has anything stashed away any where?

Iv got all the railways around Harrogate books but the frontage does seem to be a bit elusive, just trying to gather a bit of info for that i may get round to building one day.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Cheers

James

Hi, I have several volumes of photographs taken through the years showing the forecourt, platforms and concourse as original; perhaps a hundred to two hundred ish. email me if you wish at dmh1501@yahoo.co.uk

Jon

Hi, I have several volumes of photographs taken through the years showing the forecourt, platforms and concourse as original; perhaps a hundred to two hundred ish. email me if you wish at dmh1501@yahoo.co.uk

Jon

Jon you are a star, email on the way shortly

Cheers

James

Archived