Cab numbers above 9 for sound on NCE Pcab.

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for this question but I really am a duffer when it comes to this sound stuff.

I have a hotch potch of decoders and some have sounds linked to numbers 10,11,12,13,14 etc. 

I try using the appropriate 'Option' button then the 10 or 11 etc and the loco sound goes to shut down. What am I doing wrong?

I can live with not having gismo sounds above 9 but some are usful; e.g. buffer clang and flange sound.

Whilst I'm at it can someone explain to me how to reassign functions to numbers on the Cab so that I can have all my loco's with their sounds on the same numbers. It will make operation for a second 'operator' so much easier. OK so I know 1 is always start/shut down but then I'd like to 'tidy up' the rest with horns 2/3, air tanks release 4 etc.

Many thanks,

baffled of 36E

Assuming that you have the 'Option' button correctly reconfigured as the Shift, (see the manual) then to get say, 11 press Option and number 1 (once only).

To switch 11 off, press Option again and number 1. Do not use double digits. If you do, the second 1 (of number 11) will register as a non-shifted 1, which of course, switches the sound off!

Changing the key assignments on the controller is not the way to go. You would change for one decoder, then have to reconfigure each time you use a different decoder.

The way to do it is to reassign the sounds on the decoder so that they are on the F keys you prefer. If your sound decoders are ZIMO, then there is no problem. The routine is a bit quirky until you get used to it, but it can be accomplished with almost any DCC controller, and certainly your PowerCab. You don't need to know complicated indexing CVs and where the sound author has put which sound files.

There are full instructions in the manual (download from ZIMO website), and a helpful script by Nigel Cliffe in Decoder Pro. Failing that, I can help you here.

Any other brand - someone else will have to advise.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks Paul. I really appreciate your comprehensive reply. I shall copy and paste your comment (with permission).

First bit - brilliant, I'm just being a dimbo and should have realised that. My only excuse is that I have not played with my sound machines for over 9 months and have not done any adjustment of decoder stuff on the PC for over a year! I've lost touch with reality obviously........... :mail:

Second part, ar*e as I only have one Zimo dec!

I'm not actually too bothered myself but I've got a small exhibition coming up and my son (almost zero operating experience but a railway minded soul) needs KISS equipment/instructions.

Sincerely, Phil.

One other thing with the NCE controllers: there is a shift key at the lower left, which can be held while pressing any of the three keys immediately to the right of it - these give control of functions 10, 11 and 12.

Other than that, the best way is to reprogram the option key (as per the manual and Paul's answer) so that it toggles the function ranges 10-19 and 20-28.

I have, on occasions, reassigned functions on LokSound decoders to make them more convenient to use or to bring them into line with some of the other decoders. An example of this is flange squeal which on most of my sound decoders is on F8 but on a few was on F6 or F7, so I reassigned those to F8 and switched other sounds around to match. All of this was done using Decoder Pro on a computer attached to my Power Pro system - much easier than trying to do them using individual CV values.

For the time being I would be inclined to advise against doing that while you are still learning the system but may be an option for the future when you are more comfortable with DCC and its ins and outs.

• RMweb Premium

I re-read the manual this afternoon and realised I had fitted the recently supplied NCE upgrade chip just the other day and the Option key indeed needed reprogramming. I have now also got six recalls as well! I now have all Fs; great! I also discovered that one can press the shift and headlight keys and get the extra Fs above 9!!!!! I found that little gem in the blurb about my 'Power Booster'  :rtfm:

I'll get my Decoder pro programme resorted and have at look at what you mentioned SRman; I have, in the distant past, started to use that. Probably not before November 16th but it will make good work for winter evenings!

Thanks guys.

P

I re-read the manual this afternoon and realised I had fitted the recently supplied NCE upgrade chip just the other day and the Option key indeed needed reprogramming. I have now also got six recalls as well! I now have all Fs; great! I also discovered that one can press the shift and headlight keys and get the extra Fs above 9!!!!! I found that little gem in the blurb about my 'Power Booster'  :rtfm:

I'll get my Decoder pro programme resorted and have at look at what you mentioned SRman; I have, in the distant past, started to use that. Probably not before November 16th but it will make good work for winter evenings!

Thanks guys.

P

I didn't mention the headlight route as it is so inconvenient. To switch on a sound or function in the 20s would require the following:

Press Shift Key, Press Headlight button. Press Shift key again, Press Headlight again, press required 'units' key.

and to switch off again, repeat the process.

There's far too much button pressing if the Option Key is assigned as Shift, let along this RSI inducing routine requires. Ha ha.

Incidentally, this and the inability to assign momementary or latching on all keys, is what lets the PowerCab and Pro down as systems for running sound equipped locos. Oh, and the puny screen which only displays the status of F0-F6 in the main screen. (Hence the need to know the function of the button Redgate Models so ably demonstrated above!

Whilst I'm at it, what's the sense of a dedicated Shift button which only acutally shifts for F10, F11 and F12 when the controller can access all 29 functions?

Please don't flame me - I use a PowerCab myself and I am well aware that some of these issues have a historical reason (no excuse for getting up to date though?). But, although the kit is fantastic for its price, other systems (mostly of European design) are more convenient in these areas.

Paul.

At the risk of high jacking this thread, what other systems would you suggest Paul? 

I've been using a Dynamis for some time now, but not entirely happy with the joystick throttle or the "Playstation" handset, needing both hands to use it. On the plus side, the large display and optional latching buttons are good, although 20 functions is starting to be a bit limiting, and the battery hungry infra-red is a bit "iffy".

I was considering the Powercab, until I read your post, but now I have my doubts.

Cheers

Dave

I've tried a few controllers and the power cab is the best I was shown the functions back in feb but didn't buy one until a few months later thinking other controllers were more user friendly. Boy was I wrong and after seeing a layout the other week at Manchester not only running by hand or iPod but automatic shuttles with sound. The next step would be the ECoS. But that's

Without trying to start any wars about which system is best, I am very happy with the Power Cab / Power Pro, although there are some compromises as Paul has illustrated. Overall it is very good and represents excellent value for money. The most directly equivalent system to the Power Cab would be, in my opinion, the Digitrax Zephyr, which is also good value for money, It has a few features which are better than the NCE but I think the ergonomics on the Power Cab are much better.

There are many other systems out there with better features but usually at a cost and also with other compromises.

To use a well worn cliche, it's a case of 'swings and roundabouts'. That's why I recommend trying out different systems at clubs or friends' places if at all possible, before buying a system.

p.s. That latching/non-latching option for all the function keys on the NCE would be a nice option, Paul. I have often thought that myself.  :)

p.p.s. Did I say I am very happy with the NCE? I have never regretted my choice!  :D

• RMweb Premium

I went for NCE as the previous owner of my now extended DCC EM layout used it and I was able to get some direct advice when I visited Digitrains to purchase my 'starter pack'. They have also been excellent with supplying helpful additional equipment as have did Bromsgrove Models. I've probably learnt most on RMweb though :mail:  yea!

I like the PCab unit as it sits comfortably in the hand.

However, after all this excitement about DCC sound I have decided that sound decoders are a stupid price and I probably won't get many more other than to fit out my existing fleet.

As I have expressed elsewhere I believe the future for sound is 'sound in the landscape of trains passing, shunting etc.' with full train sound not just the loco chuntering away. I think the modern modeller who is interested in realism and has the skill/resources, could well operate according to a set of programmed sounds. I think it would certainly suit the exhibition stuff with operational WTTs. I think there is enough material out there and there certainly is the skill in the modelling community to digitally manipulate stuff to suit. Not quite sure how one would replicate a busy station though, or two expresses/long goods passing in the 'country'? 

Strange really, I find sound on layouts can get a bit annoying at exhibitions, however I now expect a loco to make noises when it appears (and sometimes even before it appears :music:)

Thanks again everyone, 
Phil @36E

My recommendation for a budget price DCC control system which will do all that is required and which other systems, even those at a considerably higher price point, can do. And I would still make that recommendation in the light of the operational shortcomings which I highlighted. In particular, the ergonomics of the handset and the excellent way in which decoder programming is executed. All the positive aspects massively outweigh the few slightly awkward features.

The Dynamis is stronger in these areas, but has deficiencies elsewhere. However, the PowerCab's issues are mearly 'inconvenient' whereas the lack of some basic features in the Dynamis is much more serious. Not being able to read CVs is a serious ommission, in my view, so the fact that it can

I don't think any one system is perfectfor every user, regardless of price.

I've been trying out Horby's Elite and E-Link with Railmaster software recently and despite overwhelming adverse criticism from most quarters I think it's a pretty good system. Maybe I am lucky to have tried it in it's more mature form. The Elite's interface is still too clunky for me, and I prefer a hand held walk-about than a fixed position 'console' type. The ECoS, which is a very comprehensive piece of kit that many people are very happy with, or the Zephry would not meet my requirements on this point, but may be the clincher for someone else. 

As regards to 'all singing and all dancing' high end systems, well, not everyone needs all the features. A Steinway piano can sound better than your gran's old 'Joana', but not if the person playing has no musical talent!

Overall I think the PowerCab is a old stalwart that will fulfill all of your needs (if you like the format) which would benefit from some updating to improve operational convenience in the DCC Sound era. Please note that for non-sound users, these shortcomings will not be apparent as they all relate to access to high numbered F keys.

Paul

Archived