Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby 20t brake vans - availability

John Oxlade

I am a simple person with simple needs. All I want are a couple of bog-ordinary, brown BR 20t brake vans to go on the back of my freights. Now they were only released last year, but do you think I can find any anywhere? Nope. OK, it doesn't help that I live in New Zealand and British-outline model shops are a bit thin on the ground.

Come to that, I had enough trouble finding a BR-blue 08. Come on, this is "standard stuff", why make it so hard to satisfy the needs of simple people like me? :scratchhead:

Have had a look on 4 UK retailers sites and they are all showing 'out of stock' - much has been said about Hornby's production troubles of late and possibly this is another victim.

Hope you manage to find some in the end.

• RMweb Premium

I have just had a look on the Hattons site, they do not even have a Bachmann BR 20 ton brake van. What a sad state of affairs that the humble 20 ton BR brake van is not available RTR. 

I have not looked on other leading box shifter sites so they may be in stock else where.

They seemed to sell out within a week or so of being released.

I did manage to find one in a rather gaudy colour scheme at a much reduced price recently.

Do not be tempted by the Railroad version as it  is in a very different league.

There is always the ex Airfix kit.

Still the base for a good model even after all these years.

Bernard (Another simple frustrated soul, but if I write any more I will get accused of Hornby bashing)

Leaving aside Hornby's current production issues, it has been this way for many common items that got newly tooled models from Bachmann over the last thirteen years. The first half dozen versions of the Dia 108 16T had to be purchased briskly when they arrived if required, as they melted away like the snow in spring. Same with the BR brake van and class 08. All decently accurate models, to the standard of a competently built and finished kit.

Now, I would prefer to have these models generally always available from retailers. But given the choice between inaccurate RTR usually available retail, and accurate RTR in intermittent supply, I'll take the latter and abide in patience until the stock is in.

Come on, this is "standard stuff", why make it so hard to satisfy the needs of simple people like me?

Marketing, pure and simple. I had to do repaints to get my blue 08's though it's not a hugely difficult job. As for the brake vans they are around but tend to be found in toy shops rather than model ones not that this is much use to you being in NZ.

Have you put a wanted plea on here ?

Stu

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone tell me the Hornby catalogue numbers for the "new" 2013 version of the 20T brake vans? Or, is the 2004 version also as good?

It looks from what I can see, that although the 2004 version has separate handrails, the lamp brackets are moulded-on, whereas the 2013 version has separate lamp brackets. Or am I wrong?

There seem to have been numerous versions over the years and the photos on eBay are not always good enough to see which is which.

I am after "bog ordinary" BR grey (unfitted) and brown (fitted) as appropriate for the 1960s.

Many thanks,

John

• RMweb Premium

I noticed a 'bog ordinary' BR brown one on Caistor Loco's stand at the Hull show last weekend, might be worth giving them a try?  It appeared to be of the latest production version.

http://modelshopsin.com/shop/caistor-loco/

Or perhaps try Pennine Models, Haworth - they often seem to have Hornby items in stock which have sold out elsewhere.

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/shops/173-Pennine_Models

Having just checked mine, it has separate handrails and lamp irons, but I can't find its box at the moment to confirm the R number.  I think this version was introduced longer ago than 2013, but more recently than 2004.

• 2 weeks later...

Beales in Bolton has examples of three different liveries of the newer brake van from Hornby when I looked in at the toy shop department in the basement yesterday. They have the red/grey railfreight one, the olive green one and the bauxite one. Multiple examples of each livery. Though they are all at RRP of £18.

Archived