dcc question

class60lover

Sorry but I am new to modeling and have a question.

I have acquired a Bachmann class 37 which is dcc fitted.

I only have a normal standard line and only run dcc ready.

My question is am I able to run the 37 or will I ruin it?

Is it possible to disconnect the chip so it runs with out.

I really dont understand the different with dcc and dint want to ruin a good engine

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

DCC decoders are designed so that you can run the loco concerned on DC track.  They detect DC power (as opposed to DCC power) and pass that on to the motor.   The only issue would be if the previous owner had left the decoder with DC-running disabled.  In that case you would need to find a friend with a DCC system who could reset the decoder.

Alternatively, you can remove the DCC decoder but you'll need to replace it with a blanking plug, which is how DCC ready locos are configured.

The other issue with running a DCC-fitted loco on an analogue (12V DC) system is if your controller doesn't output pure DC. I had this problem with a Hornby H&M 2000 controller that put out a 'chopped' waveform for its DC output, which some decoders (not all, though!) interpreted as some sort of weird DCC signal, resulting in some odd behaviour on the track.

The upshot of that? Try your locomotive out on DC and see if it works properly. If it doesn't move at all then RFS's scenario may be true; if it moves with varying speeds or suddenly reverses, then the above may be true of your controller. If it works properly, it works!!!!  :D

Archived