The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Rickets returns!

BlackRat

Intellectual poverty?

Sadly, no. Real old fashioned grinding poverty of food, housing, clothing, energy and information.

Oh and there is another poverty that affects England - poverty of compassion - fortunately that is far less wide-spead as the incredible levels of generosity to the Food Banks demonstrates, see the Trussel Trust data.

Sadly, no. Real old fashioned grinding poverty of food, housing, clothing, energy and information.

Oh and there is another poverty that affects England - poverty of compassion - fortunately that is far less wide-spead as the incredible levels of generosity to the Food Banks demonstrates, see the Trussel Trust data.

This is becoming a very emotive discussion. Sadly, many of those who do give of their time, compassion, money and produce are getting tired of the almost incessant calls upon their generosity which includes the many coming from the idiot box pleading for support for this, that and the other (whilst the organisations that make these appeals offer very good salaries to their senior executives).

We expect to have any and everything we want, whenever we want it so we import many things that in the 50's and 60's were unheard of. That has the effect of transferring jobs from the UK to other countries which subsequently has a significant effect upon the number of people without work and the competition for jobs. We all welcome the price reductions on goods through globalisation but many are concerned how that exports jobs. Sadly we cannot turn back the clock and we must be more productive if we wish to regain that portion of manufacturing. I do not see levels of productivity in UK plants that I see in, for example, Brazil, Korea or Tunisia!

We have a state which gives away in foreign aid and other exported monies something around £1.30 per day for every man, woman and child in this country but this seems sadly not to reach the "parts that need refreshing" to adapt an old advertising phrase. If charity begins at home, shouldn't our society be focusing more on the issues raised by the OP?

• RMweb Gold

The point I was trying to make was that I had heard about this several years ago, not that it was happening in a particular area. I did think it was worth describing the type of environment, to give some context. I was interested to know (being several thousand miles away from the UK, and since the OT did not refer to a particular news report) if it was appearing generally in the UK, or in particular areas - like de-industrialised areas with pockets of serious poverty, perhaps.

Basically it mainly occurs in certain sections of the population but all sections are open to it if there is a failure to give children sufficient Vitamin D (from the various different sources from which it can be obtained - including the freebie, sunshine)

This is what the NHS have to say on the subject (and presumably they area ware of the numbers etc involved (copied from the NHS Direct website)-

Rickets is more common in children of Asian, African-Caribbean and Middle Eastern origin because their skin is darker and needs more sunlight to get enough vitamin D. However, any child who does not get enough sunlight, is frequently covered up or has a diet low in vitamin D or calcium is also at risk of getting rickets.

• RMweb Premium

This is not a new problem in the UK.  I remember a newspaper article from at least 30 years ago about Public Health work that a lady doctor was doing among asian immigrant families.  She had observed ricketts after watching children at swimming classes and traced much of it back to the practice of always boiling milk before using it.  She launched an initiative in the town where she worked. (I can;t remember) to try and educate the mothers, who often had come over from the Indian sub continent to join their husbands who were working here, that fresh milk was safe to drink in this country.  Apparently the heating process destroyed a lot of the vitamins in the milk before the children drank it.

Jamie

But nothing so great as observed by Aneurin Bevan - “The real tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their ambition”

I don wonder about kids today, I was appalled when my grand daughter come to visit us in the summer.  At 7 years old she talks to adults like she's a stroppy teenager and we're idiots and will only eat what SHE thinks she should be eating.  When given sheperds pie she informed us that she doesn't eat vegetables so we should go into the kitchen and cook her something else, or she'll happily have biscuits or cake.

I know kids need some freedom but there does need to be a limit to that freedom, like not having jam sandwiches for all 3 meals a day for example.

Six strokes of the cane might work wonders, and hang the consequences.

Sadly, the administrator of such strokes would be hung, drawn and quartered - but only after being aggressively pursued by the "holier than thou" newspaper fraternity whom, of course, have never ever done anything wrong!

• RMweb Premium

But nothing so great as observed by Aneurin Bevan - “The real tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their ambition”

Sadly still true, What do you want to do when you are older 'Go to the pub all day with me Dad'

Cant see that is a rieght bad thing...... its who pays for it that makes a diffrence

I've been idly trying to figure this one out. So I've been considering the options...

Dad pays cos he gets benefits and makes a bit on the side chicken baiting?

Wife pays to get you from under t'feet?

Barlady pays cos you've been doing her a favour?

Yer mates pay cos you make 'em laugh?

Girlfriend pays cos she doesnt yet know you carry lead piping in yer pocket?

The state pays?

Fats absorb vitamin D but many of us are on special diets following heart surgery so other alternatives have to be found. Also, as we age the skin in less able to absord D from sunlight and a lifetime of sunbathing might have caused damaged skin which we have to protect by the time of old age. It's a balancing act so I've decided to order another locomotive and stock up on Super D's. :biggrin_mini2:

Archived