RMweb

Screaming Bachmann

SEVERN VALLEY

My lovely standard class 5 has again started screaming at all speeds. This loco was serviced by Bachmann some time ago to cure this same problem. This difficulty has also occured with other Bachmann engines.

Is this a lubrication problem and if so which product will cure it ? Or is it a structural problem with the motor / gears.

I'm sure I am not the first to experience this problem and advice is keenly sought.

In anticipation, best regards John.

Screaming = high frequency. That means the motor shaft, and anything in bearings running at motor shaft speed. The slightest dab of light oil on the motor shaft adjacent the bearings either end is what I would start with. So little oil that you cannot see it on the shaft is what to aim for; last thing you want is any oil getting inside the motor can. I probably get one a year among the thirty odd Bachmann steam models on the layout, starts to whistle slightly when first run; that's the sign that a motor bearing has gone dry. The larger motor in the diesels, never yet needed to lubricate the motor bearings. 

• 1 month later...

Archived