Ruston & Hornsby 40DL

Kelly

After doing more research online I find I need also a R&H 40DL loco, as these were the original locolasting till 1970s. One of the original 40DLs survived into preservaion so have some details about it here

So does anyone know of a kit in 00-9 for this loco?

I strongly suspect that the 40DL Rustons at Chilmark looked just like the 44/48HP Rustons there, although whether they had cabs I don't know. Copying the example at the BLR isn't a good idea as it seems to have been heavily rebuilt there.

The 44/48HP "FIRE" engine does have an original Ruston cab and also appears to have an exhaust scrubber mounted on an extended frame behind the cab (which was a pretty standard Ruston feature for locos intended to work underground). It also has weights mounted either side of the frame which served to provide axle box mountings for a loco built to a wider gauge than 2 feet. My best guess would be that the 40DL locos looked exactly the same, but without the specific fire-fighting equipment.

40DL was effectively just a Ruston reclassification of the previous 44/48HP model, although locos built in the later 1940s had a more "streamlined" body structure.

Meridian do a body kit of a smaller Ruston with the same general body style. The 44/48HP and 40DL locos had a longer engine compartment (to take the four cylinder heavy oil engine) and the Chilmark locos also had the weights either side of the frame and the extended frame at the rear with the exhaust scrubber. The Meridian kit would provide a suitable radiator housing, petrol tank and cab but the intended chassis, even if you could find one, would be too short.

40DL was effectively just a Ruston reclassification of the previous 44/48HP model, although locos built in the later 1940s had a more "streamlined" body structure.

No, the 40DL was the later name for the 33/40HP locomotive. The one Kelly's link is a 33/40HP loco and not, as stated in the link, a 40DL.

As far as bodywork goes, for any given style it was the same on a 33/40 or 40DL as that on a 44/48 or 48DL but shorter in length due to it not having to be as long because the engine was shorter, having 3 cylinders instead of 4.

Archived