Signal wire support posts - question

I hesitate to ask a question here as I know there are those who think questions belong solely in the Modelling Questions section. However, last time I posed a track related question there, I didn't get a single reply. Perhaps the question was too silly or the people who know the answers focus more  on this section. Well, here goes.

What colour were ex_LNWR/LMS wooden support posts for signal wire pulleys?

Hope someone out there can advise me.

Dave.

I have a signal wire stake from Potton ex LNWR. There is no telling how old it is but from it's weight and smell it was properly and deeply treated with creosote. The LMS moved to concrete fairly early on, as did the LNER and most other companies, so i suggest it is quite old and possibly dates from LNWR times. I can nip outside and take a picture but as it currently reside under a hedge it is green in colour. Not much use but i suggest it should be a very dark brown, almost black from creosote.

edit.. I went and took the picture anyway. There is a little original colour visible. I found it on the trackbed of the old line possibly in the late 70's and managed to extract it and cycle the 15 or so miles home (no mean feat for a 13 year old). It has lurked in this position ever since and is showing little sign of further deterioration..

post-4034-0-50368400-1382866091_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Dave - As LNERGE mentions you won't go wrong if you assume creosote was the treatment and colour accordingly, the ones I saw ranged from dark to light brown (probably because they hadn't been recoated for a long time and the wood was showing through), but then they'd had 55+ years to weather since LNWR days.

Archived