TTe - Narrow Gauge in 1:120 scale...

Hobby

That heading should make some of you look, even if it's just to find out what the heck it is!

Well, to answer that question first, it's a TT scale model (1:120 scale not the TT3 version!) using 6.5mm Z gauge track to represent 750/760mm prototypes... As many of you will know TT is still big business over in Central and Eastern Europe and it's quite possible to make a standard gauge layout just using ready-to-run locos and stock, proprietary track systems, building kits and all the other accessories you will find in N and HO/OO scales... 

Narrow gauge in TT doesn't quite run to the ready-to-run stock but does have quite following in the old Eastern Germany and the Czech Republic (it probably does elsewhere in that part of the world as well, but I haven't found any links to the Russian stuff, though i understand there is some!)... There are several manufacturers who produce TTe narrow gauge brass kits, namely DK Model and Hekktor, plus all the standard detailing bits can also be used as well as the building kits. Shapeways also have quite a few items in TTm and TTe and of course you can use the Marklin and American and Japanese Z scale locos as doners for the chassis... BTW if you choose TTm (TT scale, 9mm track representing metre gauge) then there is a lot of Harz stock on Shapeways...

Having cleared up all of that then next obvious question is Why?!

Following the conversion of the garage into an ensuite for my disabled wife my daughter moved from her bedroom into ours and so freed up her old bedroom for a Railway Room... Whilst the room is of reasonable size (10ft x 10ft) it has a few things which limit the straight runs, the airing cupboard and a run for the waste pipe from the garage which restrict things somewhat... I wanted my next layout so be more of a "railway in the scenery" representing the Czech 760mm Narrow Gauge lines I am familar with which meander through open scenery and in the space I had i felt that HOe would be too large. I'd seen several TTe laouts on the 'net and liked their feeling of space so though I'd give it a go... Here's a link to the ones I'd seen to give you an idea:

A few years ago I had bought some of the DK Model TTe 4 wheel coach kits but never made them up. I sold them onto a fellow member of the 009 Society and he didn't make them up either so I bought them back to try making them up to see what they were like... Here's the results so far:

TTe351coach002_zpsb50d82b3.jpg
DSCF2979_zps1059287c.jpg
TTecoachCiu002_zpsefcee115.jpg
DSCF2985_zps42601ed7.jpg

Everyone who's seen them so far "in the flesh" have commented on how chunky they are. You'd think that with such a small scale of 1:120 they would be quite small, but in reality they are quite large. I can see why many people say that TT (either version!) is the ideal scale for both detailing and space efficiency.. Here's a couple of photos for comparison purposes, the first is comparing with Z scale stock (Marklin) and the second against Nm (N scale - in this case 1:148 i believe - on 6.5mm gauge track) showing just how chunky they are:

TTe354_zpsab9d6202.jpg
TTe353_zpsccfda913.jpg

So down to the planning stage, I decided on three 3ft x 2ft boards, two end on and lone at right angles to the others... And a simple track plan... My first attempt at XTrackCAD using Marlkin Miniclub track came up with this which will give a rough idea of what I have planned... The middle board will have the main station and a village on it with the outer two full of scenery with the track meandering through them with a small halt on the right angled board... I am now making up the baseboards from ply...

ef9924e7-8a19-4599-ba95-16fa5ff7c6a9_zps

TTm is something I have wanted to have a go at for a long time being a nice size between HO and N. I always wondered if the Z scale chassis could be made to run smoothly to the point of being able to shunt/switch with them. Anyway liking the plan and is the pic before the track plan showing soldered track? as I have some 2FS narrow pcb sleeping :)

t.

I'm not sure about shunting, every layout I've seen using Z scale stock seems to be a tail-chaser, having said that, that's what I want so it doesn't matter! If it was TTm then you'd be using N scale mechanisms so shunting should be possible! I can't claim to be responsible for the Nm track, it was built by Brian Denton for his new layout. Mine will be using buried Z track from Peco and Marklin! 

9mm gauge also works out very close to 3' 6" in 1:120 and there is quite a strong following in New Zealand where it is known as NZ120. There are quite a few kits available there for this scale.

I'm not sure about shunting, every layout I've seen using Z scale stock seems to be a tail-chaser, having said that, that's what I want so it doesn't matter! If it was TTm then you'd be using N scale mechanisms so shunting should be possible! I can't claim to be responsible for the Nm track, it was built by Brian Denton for his new layout. Mine will be using buried Z track from Peco and Marklin! 

Yes got wires crossed and meant Nm which also been interested in since seeing Piers Milne's RhB layout sometime ago in the RM and at Zedex.

Just need to dig out the Nm track gauges :D

Narrow gauge in TT doesn't quite run to the ready-to-run stock but does have quite following in the old Eastern Germany and the Czech Republic (it probably does elsewhere in that part of the world as well, but I haven't found any links to the Russian stuff, though i understand there is some!)... There are several manufacturers who produce TTe narrow gauge brass kits, namely DK Model and Hekktor, plus all the standard detailing bits can also be used as well as the building kits. Shapeways also have quite a few items in TTm and TTe and of course you can use the Marklin and American and Japanese Z scale locos as doners for the chassis... BTW if you choose TTm (TT scale, 9mm track representing metre gauge) then there is a lot of Harz stock on Shapeways...

A few years ago I had bought some of the DK Model TTe 4 wheel coach kits but never made them up. I sold them onto a fellow member of the 009 Society and he didn't make them up either so I bought them back to try making them up to see what they were like... Here's the results so far:

Hi Hobby

I found the link to DK-Model without too much trouble, but had less success with any other suppliers. Does anyone do models of German prototypes from Saxony please?

Many thanks

Eric   

I don't know much about the German TTe stuff, though here's a general link which I found, also one which has Saxon stuff and the Czech manufacturer Hekktor:

http://www.murtens-bahnseite.de/Linktipps.html

http://mb-kittler.de/store/node

http://www.hekttor.biz/

With Shapeways search "TTm" and you'll find some stuff, some of it is for TTe as well if I remember rightly.

Regards, Blair

The trackbed including gradients now in place. I need to cut a couple of slots on the left hand board at the back where the fiddle yard is, as it's chucking it down and I don't want to use the jigsaw inside it'll have to wait! I've laid the track so you can see the overall plan... Gradients work out between 1:40 and 1:50, hopefully the Z scale stuff will cope with that ok... Two more packages from japan arrived today including the 6 car multiple unit set for under £40, still not figured how they do it!!

TTelayouttrackbed001_zps00968816.jpg

TTelayouttrackbed002_zps54c5814b.jpg

Can't speak for the motor, but those in the Z and Nm groups who use it seem to find it ok, I saw one under a Billard railcar and it was going round just fine.

The Railcar bogie centres are 62mm, bogie wheelbase 11mm and wheels 5mm

The BoBoBo is (with dummy middle bogie removed!) 53mm bogie centres, 11mm bogie wheelbase and 5mm wheels.

I completed the circuit last night and ran a few of the Z gauge stuff around. The Japanese multiple unit is quite lively and very light though it did manage the gradients with five coaches in tow, the BoBoBo loco was much more controllable but the Marklin loco was the best of the lot. I suppose it's a question of "you pays your money" scenario! Hope that helps...

• 1 month later...
Fair bit more going on, though in stock construction rather than the layout itself. that's the trouble with a new layout in a new scale that doesn't have RTR trade support, you have to start from scratch. So far I've made up 4 coaches, one baggage van, on bogie coach and a T47 diesel in brass. I've also modified a Japanese Z chassis to fit the Lxd2 and made up a brass MBxd2 railcar...

The T47 alongside it's HOe brother (the roof has now been sorted, it was just loose on this photo:

TTeT47001_zpsb6865611.jpg

The MBxd2 railcar alongside an HOe 3D printed version:

MBxd2TTe001_zps4a515e67.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Started to do the basic scenery. Got some 50mm insulation sheets, cut to size using a knife, cut the basic contours, laid one layer of Modroc and then painted a layer of plaster on top, colured brown with poster paint.

First the forest end of the layout. The eagle eyed will have noticed I've taken out the siding and where that used to be will be a small halt with a path leading through the trees to the top of the hill... I have also ballasted this section, though have yet to clean up the track/ballast and test. Until I do so I wont be ballasting any other track. The point was causing issues with running and I felt it better not to over complicate things on my first attempt in this scale...

TTelayoutscenerystart001_zps4ca0518c.jpg

Next the view towards the other end. The main station board has some added polystyrene/modroc to the front and now awaits some station buildings. The left hand board also has the same treatment and again awaits the station buildings so I have an idea as to size and can scratchbuild some houses which will be along a road which will lead from the station to the right, along the board behind the track and then cross the track on a level crossing on the left. The track will disappear on the left hand side through some trees and there will be a back scene to hide the fiddle yard at the back.. Which those eagle eyed will have also have noticed that it has been relaid to make for smoother running... I haven't decided whether to cover the track at the back of the station with buildings (I'm thinking of industrial like those behind Kamenice nad Lipou on the JHMD) or flats...

TTelayoutscenerystart002_zpsc376c08c.jpg

Finally an overall picture, the layout is 8 foot long by 3 foot at the widest (approx 2430mm by 910mm)...

TTelayoutscenerystart003_zpsa4f636c2.jpg

• 1 month later...
I've been trying to think what to put on top of the hill where the path through the trees from the halt leads to... I've finally decided on a ruined castle based on this one (note: "based on"!) in Slovakia... 

160 trees and counting! Starting to get the "railway through the trees in the scenery" now though...

TTeForestBoard007_zpsebe7f0be.jpg

TTeForestBoard005_zpsfd55b88d.jpg

TTeForestBoard004_zpsa0816d71.jpg

The "Ruined Castle" arrived c/o Ebay this morning, so having nothing else pressing to do I first put the bits on a board to work out the best way to site them then "sunk" them into the hill... Followed by grass and paths and finally more trees... The Castle is in N scale, I couldn't find a suitable one in TT (Auhagen had a tower but I wanted ruins rather than just a tower), however the choice of scale has allowed it too give it some perspective when viewed from the side. I will be adding N scale people in due course, with TT ones down by the railway...

Firstly a view from the side through the trees...

TTeTheCastle001_zpsb56c9fd1.jpg

Next a view through the trees from the rear...

TTeTheCastle002_zps8cab1885.jpg

From the halt looking up (sorry for the strange angle of the shot!)..

TTeTheCastle003_zps28ad8faf.jpg

Finally the view from above...

TTeTheCastle004_zps21e7758c.jpg

200 and counting, Andy!

It's booked to appear at Narrow gauge West Midlands at Water Orton in August, Zedex in October and the new European Show in December... So far... So a lot of work to do, all this scenery work has stopped progress on the stock!

• 1 month later...

To add to the above, Shepton 2015 and St Albans 2015... I'll have to pull my finger out!!

As I said a while ago the building kits finally arrived from the Czech Republic so I have now got round to making a couple up. The station building is essentially the same as the HO version and is more of a "scratch aid" kit rather than one you just stick together. The main walls are produced and the roofs which then have to be detailed. The Goods Shed however is a proper kit made from laser cut plastic and card and is really (and I mean, really) good. I have another one of his kits for another railway building and am looking forward to making it up after my experience with the Goods Shed. If only British manufacturers produced something similar...

TTebuildings002_zpsf1048859.jpg

TTebuildings004_zps14e82bac.jpg

TTebuildings005_zpsb7d1e5e2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Virtually done the forest/castle board by completing the bridge where the lines cross over each other... I used bits from a Pola kit and a spare girder I had... The cutting is supposed to be one of those "wet" ones with greenery hanging down the sides!

TTeForestBridge001_zpse4804d0f.jpg

TTeForestBridge003_zps16ecf1c0.jpg

TTeForestBridge004_zpsa9942c9d.jpg

TTeForestBridge005_zpse2d9d1d9.jpg[/url]

Archived