Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

I understand that MRJ 250 includes a bit about "Lakebank", a 3mm 14.2mm gauge created by Iain Rice and a number of others. I was one of those others, "Diddington" is in many ways the heir to "Lakebank".  As I haven't yet had a chance to see the article, I.m going to do something I should never do, and comment on an article I haven't read. I thought there may be some interest in the connections between "Diddington" and "Lakebank".

Construction of "Diddington" started while "Lakebank" was under construction, and many of the ideas and techniques tried on that layout, were used on "Diddington". One example is the high back scene at the rear of the layout, made from thin MDF. Diddington's back scene is a direct crib. They both use  similar methods of baseboard construction, because I learned the techniques while working on "Lakebank". Both have an Iain Rice track plan - "Diddington" is based on "Downingham" in issue No1 of the now defunct "Modelling Railways Illustrated".

There are other connections - the large hotel at the front of "Lakebank" was the work of Dave Measey, who also built the mill for "Diddington". The scenery construction methods I used on "Diddington" were first used on "Lakebank". I've developed the ideas since, but "Lakebank" gave me the confidence to try the ideas on a larger scale. The thing that wasn't around back then, was static grass, which would have greatly enhanced the scenic treatment of "Lakebank".

I think I can safely say that without the experience of working on "Lakebank" "Diddington " wouldn't exist in the from it does today.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Mark (46444) came round on Friday and we had a chat about Diddington's latest aquisitions, and about the proposed extension. The design is taking shape in my minds eye, and I'll try and get something on paper this week. I've done a bit more measuring of the site and can get about a 3'10" radius curve in past the old fiddle yard area. It's gong to pass through open country, although one of the new Ratio Nissen huts might be included for a bit of interest. PCB based points for the new fiddle yard have been salvaged from an old layout, so there wont be much to build in the way of point work.

In the meantime, some of 46444's locos paid a visit, and here are some pics of his Heljan W&M rail bus at Diddington.

attachicon.gifW&M Railbus passes farm.jpg

Great stuff Alex.

Lovely shots of Diddington.

There's plenty of atmosphere in that last picture and the rail bus becomes part of the landscape.

Cheers,

Mark

Do I recognise Huntingdon Hosiery Mill in the third pic down?

Chris

It is and it isn,t Chris. The mill is a hybrid of the ones at Huntingon/ Godmanchester and St Ives. The access/loading arrangements are from Huntingdon/Godmanchester. The picture reminds me I need to refit the canopy over the loading bay!

• Like 2

I did a few photographs of Diddington last night. First up, here's some pictures of some of Juniper Hill's stock in Diddington yard. Juniper Hill is living with me at the moment, and is in service as the terminus of the agricultural tramway from Diddington. There's a bit of a geographical jump from the fens to the East Midlands, but we are ignoring that. Anyway, here's a couple of  pictures of "Cranford" and some wagons in Diddington yard, about to travel down the tramway to Juniper Hill.

post-6772-0-73518600-1482309277.jpg

post-6772-0-48078800-1482309303.jpg

"Twywell" also came out for a run (she's going well Mark), and here's a picture in Diddington yard.

post-6772-0-54333400-1482309498.jpg

A little while ago we discussed doing some shed scenes with the J15, I took some last night, but this rather turned in to a portrait session for the J15. I brought a Gibson kit for this years ago, and had every intention of making it. Then Hornby brought out thiers. Mine has been weathered, had real coal in the tender, and a crew fitted. It still needs couplings. First picture is with a weathered Bachmann Ivatt in Diddington headshunt. Typical Kettering-Cambridge motive power.

post-6772-0-89750000-1482309818.jpg

Finally, a couple of portraits of the J15 on shed.

post-6772-0-22700100-1482309943.jpg

post-6772-0-29971500-1482309980.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good Lord!

Norman Lockhart took this photo from the same spot!!!

He must have been stood next to Jonty!

post-14122-0-87571300-1482312424.jpg

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I did a few photographs of Diddington last night. First up, here's some pictures of some of Juniper Hill's stock in Diddington yard. Juniper Hill is living with me at the moment, and is in service as the terminus of the agricultural tramway from Diddington. There's a bit of a geographical jump from the fens to the East Midlands, but we are ignoring that. Anyway, here's a couple of  pictures of "Cranford" and some wagons in Diddington yard, about to travel down the tramway to Juniper Hill.

attachicon.gifCranford aerial view.jpg

attachicon.gifCranford leaves Diddington for Juniper Hill.jpg

"Twywell" also came out for a run (she's going well Mark), and here's a picture in Diddington yard.

attachicon.gifTwywell Diddington yard#2.jpg

A little while ago we discussed doing some shed scenes with the J15, I took some last night, but this rather turned in to a portrait session for the J15. I brought a Gibson kit for this years ago, and had every intention of making it. Then Hornby brought out thiers. Mine has been weathered, had real coal in the tender, and a crew fitted. It still needs couplings. First picture is with a weathered Bachmann Ivatt in Diddington headshunt. Typical Kettering-Cambridge motive power.

attachicon.gifJ15 and Ivatt Diddington headshunt.jpg

Finally, a couple of portraits of the J15 on shed.

attachicon.gifJ15 waiting.jpg

attachicon.gifJ15 waiting #2.jpg

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the shots of Cranford and Twywell which are two lovely engines to use for shunting.  The Model Rail Sentinel is a particular favourite of mine and I also have another.  The gun powder van is built from the excellent Parkside kit.

The J15 is a blessing from Hornby and a fine model.  The photos with the Ivatt 2MT are reminiscent of St.Ives with the Ivatt waiting to double head a fruit train to Kettering with a class mate.

Be good to see some more photos and accounts of Diddington as well over the holiday period.

Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Good Lord!

Norman Lockhart took this photo from the same spot!!!

He must have been stood next to Jonty!

Hi Rob,

I think NL's shot captures the period nicely. Lovely touch with the film as well. 

I saw JC on Friday...Camera in hand shooting at JH. I'm sure Alex could arrange for him to take some shots at Diddington.  I believe they're using a blue Bentley to get around in.

Apparently the Charles Wells Fargo is going down a treat at the local in Diddington in the evenings.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

• 2 weeks later...

As predicted, roving photographer Jonty Chambers has been busy at Diddington. He drove over from Juniper Hill. Alighting from his car, the first thing he saw was a class 15 drifting down the yard to pick up wagons in the van road.

post-6772-0-00358700-1483047237.jpg

The class 15 is a Heljan model, lightly weathered, but otherwise out of the box

Further down the line he came across a Sulzer type 2 (class 24) waiting in the shed road.

post-6772-0-14166800-1483047267.jpg

This is a Bachmann model, weathered and with new couplings, but otherwise as out of the box. I have read a number of articles which refer to the shortcomings of the ends, and describing a cut and shut operation to fit Hornby ends to the Bachman body. The results look very effective, but I haven't been tempted to try it on mine yet.

Waiting by the Signal Box, Jonty was able to capture the arrival of an EE type 3 (class37) with a parcels train.

post-6772-0-66199800-1483047290.jpg

The class 37 is a heavily modified Lima body, on a Bachmann chassis. The first van is a modified Lima Siphon G, running on GWR bogies from a Mainline (formerly Airfix) Siphon G. The second van in the train is the Airfix Siphon G, detailed and fitted with MJT bogies.

after the parcels train has passed, a Brush type 2 (Class 31) appeared with a train of vans for the Mill at Diddington.

post-6772-0-77523400-1483047313_thumb.jpg

This model is a Hornby one, I've also go another one in Golden Ochre livery, made from an Airfix body on a Hornby chassis, the ends on the Airfix body being better than those on the Hornby body I think.

Walking back to his car, Jonty found a 350hp diesel shunter (class 08) on the loco release. post-6772-0-87634400-1483047334.jpg

This model is a heavily weathered Bachmann model, which was described in more detail earlier in this thread.

Edited by wiggoforgold
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alex,

Looks like JC has been busy...

Great shot of the Brush Type 2 by the signal box.

Look forwards to further updates.

Cheers,

Mark

I started sketching out my plan for the extension today, and the first draft is attached. The aim of the extension is threefold

- To give a better arrangement for the storage/fiddle sidings

- To give a longer scenic run

- To provide an additional source of traffic in the from of a line side industry.

Extension plan 1.1.17#2.pdf

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

I started writing this piece a few weeks ago, while suffering from the cold/cough that has been

circulating these parts. Bored and listless, I fiddled with the broadband, and lost my internet

connection. Hence no posts for a while. I’m sorted now.

Here is a series of pictures of a typical pick up freight from the 1950’s entering Diddington station.

post-6772-0-19854900-1489005695.jpg

In the first picture the train is seen approaching Diddington over the wooden bridge over the river

Ouse.

post-6772-0-78046400-1489005718.jpg

The train is then seen entering the goods arrival road at Diddington station,

post-6772-0-96291000-1489005737.jpg

before commencing shunting operations to dispose of the train.

The J 15 is from Hornby, and the wagons come from various sources. I think these days wagons give the

greatest scope for modelling, and I get great satisfaction seeing what can be made from existing parts,

rather than using the latest state of the art productions – some of which exert a strong temptation,

and appear at Diddington from time to time. I like to think that they fit in well and compliment my

own efforts.

The different wagons in the train are indicative of this approach. The conflat B with container is an

old Airfix model, the container having been completely repainted, and the wagon having had additional

detailing to the underframe in the form of a new vacuum cylinder (a Kenline casting I think) and new

tie bars from brass strip. The LNER steel open started out as an Ian Kirk model. It’s got a Ratio

underframe, and has been backdated by the replacement of the steel doors with wooden ones. The cable

drum load is from the set of cable drums, packing cases etc that has been produced by various

manufacturers over the years. It was Knightwing when I got mine.

The 5 plank open is an old Airfix one. I was particularly pleased with this one, as it illustrates

my approach to things. The basic Airfix wagon (in ICI livery) was obtained in a damaged state for 50p

from a trade stand at a show. One of the sides was damaged, and it had been fitted with a gravel

load on a cardboard base. It was stripped down, and the moulded brake rigging was removed and

replaced with cast parts. The buffers, one of which was broken, were also replaced. Brake safety

loops were added from bent staples. The damaged side was disguised by the addition of the wagon

sheet, which came from the Smith’s printed sheet. I distress these before installation, by screwing

them into a ball and making them wet, before unfolding them. Once dry, they are fitted to the wagon

and dry brushed with grey or dark earth to bring out the texture. Lengths of cotton, painted dark

earth, are glued to the corners and in the centre of the sides as tie ropes.

The NE open with timber load is an old 3H model, and the BR 20 ton brake van is from Airfix. I think

this is one of the best wagon models around. The moulds must be 50 years old, and it has really never

been bettered. The roof is a bit thick, and the chimney and ventilators are the wrong way round. I

believe the ducket height may be slightly wrong, but not enough to make a change essential, and

plenty of people (including me) leave it as is.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alex,

Great to see a J15 at work on Diddington with an eclectic mix of wagons.  Nice shots as well.

Hopefully another entry soon with details of the extension.

Cheers,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

It was Jonty's birthday today, 19 March 1964, so he decided to forsake his usual Juniper Hill haunts, and go down to Diddington to look at the trains. he was rewarded with a hive of activity

post-6772-0-52683000-1489922138.jpg

An excursion hauled by March based golden ochre D5579 was just arriving,

while the yard was being shunted by a 350 hp diesel shunter (08 for the younger generation), and the DMU for the regular passenger service was relegated to the bay.

post-6772-0-72108000-1489922117.jpg

post-6772-0-44793100-1489922155.jpg

When Jonty had finished, I though it might be interesting to take a few pictures around Diddington with out any trains in them. First up is a picture of Diddington taken from above Cow Lane Cossing, showing the crossing hut (Oakington), the stables (Ely) and part of the turntable pit (inspired by childhood memories of playing in the old one at Huntingdon East) The buildings are from card, with Scalescenes brick paper. Construction of them was described in the card modelling forum a while back.

post-6772-0-14112000-1489922177.jpg

Next is a view of the beginning of Church Walk, which is a foot path which runs alongside the river to the (off scene) church. The boathouse is scratchbuilt, being a model of the one that stood at Hemingford Grey and which was demolished in the mid 1970's. There's a cottage on the site now. The row of cottages opposite are from Scalescenes kits, which were ideal for the site. Again, all the buildings are card, except for part of the pantile roof on the boathouse, which is from Wills sheets.

post-6772-0-01273400-1489922207.jpg

That's all for now. I'm currently working on the legs for the extension, and refurbishing the Mill.

• Like 17

I like!!

I like it too, but you are right Alan, the last few pictures have been a bit dark. I tried to lighten them up this morning before I posted. My poor photograpy  I'm afraid - I need to work on the camera settings a bit more.

• RMweb Gold

Evening Alex,

Cracking shots and good to see Jonty has been out photographing again around Diddington.

Nice to see a few new angles as well particularly around the stables.

Cheers,

Mark