L & Y Gas Lamps

DavidLong

• RMweb Premium

This is a repeat of part of a question that I have asked in the 2mm Finescale section.  I am looking for a drawing for the type of L & Y gas lamps which are shown in the photos below.  LMS Lineside Part 1 has illustrations of this style of lamp but no drawings.  Any help in terms of dimensions would be appreciated.

post-9616-0-36636900-1383065426.jpg

post-9616-0-61282600-1383065447.jpg

Thanks in advance

David

Hi David,

It may be that the Lamp/standard in question is not an L&Y design but rather an LMS/ later BR modification but the same iron post, I could be well wrong on this.

The earlier type would probably have been of the hexagonal type gas upper, in which case there is at least one drawing in the LYR society platform magazine which shows the height of the lamp-post, at least you would get the height right.

Heights did vary of course but for the most part in goods yards etc, usually platform lamp standards were 'standard' size.

hope it gives you a clue at least.

cheers

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Hi David,

It may be that the Lamp/standard in question is not an L&Y design but rather an LMS/ later BR modification but the same iron post, I could be well wrong on this.

The earlier type would probably have been of the hexagonal type gas upper, in which case there is at least one drawing in the LYR society platform magazine which shows the height of the lamp-post, at least you would get the height right.

Heights did vary of course but for the most part in goods yards etc, usually platform lamp standards were 'standard' size.

hope it gives you a clue at least.

cheers

Peter

Interesting comment, Peter.  There is a photograph in LMS Lineside of a similar lamp on the lineside at Wigan Wallgate which has a taller post and a fixed ladder attached.  This is described in the caption as being an 'LMS lamp' but, being at Wallgate, is on an ex-L & Y route.  Other than the height of the post it appears to be identical to those in my illustrations.

David

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I'm not sure if this thread is still being followed, but I've just come across it whilst making my own attempt to obtain or make some lamps of this pattern.

Various photo books indicate that this type was almost ubiquitous on Lancashire and Yorkshire lines in the BR steam era, and I also see them from Appleby to Rugby, so the implication seems to be very much that it was an LMS or BR standard replacement lamp.

It seems very unfortunate that there is -apparently- no "00" model product of such an essential element for both platforms and yards on LMR steam layouts. Available models all seem to be either "Victorian" gas lamps or conical shades on curved or swan-necked posts, both of which would NOT be typical. 

I just had the idea to google Rawtenstall, and unless things have changed recently, they seem to have these "correct" lamps on the platform.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/r/rawtenstall/

So camera and measuring rod when next passing..........

• 2 years later...

I am trying in vain to source some of these LMS pattern lamps and I can assure everyone that they are just not made. So, has anyone scratch built any?

Yes, but in 7mm scale. I had them specially made as brass castings (in three parts) for our club layout.

Jim

Yes, but in 7mm scale. I had them specially made as brass castings (in three parts) for our club layout.

Jim

Hi Jim

Could I trouble you for some dimensions? In particular the lamp heads ( if that's what they are called) In 7mm would be ok as I can scale them down.

Richard