pavement

For the road surfaces for my diorama Northall Dock I already choose for granite setts. For the pavement I didn’t make an decision.  I liked to see if I could create a flagstone paving with granite kerbs.

As usually I started with a search for background information and textures. With this information I created some texture sheets for my pavement modelling.

post-11675-0-33435200-1383394406.jpg

The kerbs I placed individually:

post-11675-0-94579600-1383394440.jpg

Then I glued the individual cut Yorkstone  flags in place. Embossed the pavement to create some depth between the flags.

I made the underlayment for the alley. Glued the pavement  and setts in place. Embossed the granite setts on the road and glued the small granite siding in place. 

post-11675-0-28989900-1383394495_thumb.jpg

Then I placed the finished alley in the diorama.

post-11675-0-69690800-1383394554_thumb.jpg

The final result.

Hope this information is useful.

Regards,

Job

Excellent work - looks really good. I remember when I was quite happy using the Metcalfe pre-cut self adhesive slabs. I thought they looked pretty good, but this takes the detail into a different league. Pete.

Hi

Agree with above.  I really like any attempts to make a layout look as realistic as possible.  This is great work - thanks for sharing the idea too. 

Paul

Hi, Job,

As always, some more nice work from you. I particularly like the embossed setts.

For those who don't feel up to such time consuming work, here's a quick and simple alternative, grey 2mm pasteboard lightly scribed with a sharp blade, then drawn in with a 2B pencil. Here and there I've dragged a compasses point along the knife cut to roughen the line and give the impression of chipped stone edges. The steps are simply Scalescenes Block wall TX39 liberally 'sploshed' with Payne's Grey watercolour. You have to cut strips of the 'next row down' to glue to the front of each successive step and bully over the egdes with a smooth tool.

post-106-0-80508600-1383402265.jpg

Come on Job, let's soon see the whole diorama!

Best wishes,

Doug

Thanks Doug.

I'm working on it. 

I decided to do a blog about my model activities on the RM blog.

But will post my card modeling efforts also in this section, if I find that useful.

And of course the end result of my diorama.

Greetings,

Job

Archived