BR Mk.1 coach conversions

Huw Griffiths

• RMweb Gold

I know this might sound like a strange question - and I'm mainly asking out of curiosity (I don't want anyone going out of their way on my behalf) - but I hope my question isn't actually as crazy as it appears.

In recent months, there's been a bit of fuss about a cheap OO model of a BR Mk.1 SK.

There have also been a number of posts suggesting that these models might be able to be converted into other designs of coach - with a TSO being one suggestion as an end product.

Meanwhile, the Churnet Valley Railway website includes some photographs of a FK to FO conversion: http://www.churnet-valley-railway.co.uk/carriage-wagon.

I don't pretend to know much about BR Mk.1 coaches - but I'd be very surprised if this were the only coach that had been converted into a different design.

What I'm wondering is:

• whether anyone knows of any other BR Mk.1 coaches being converted from corridor to open configuration;
  • if anyone has heard of any SK to TSO conversions;
  • whether any such conversions were carried out while in BR (or any successor TOC) use - and
  • whether roof vents would have been altered at the same time.

I hope you don't mind me asking.

Many thanks,

Huw.

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Three FKs were covereted to semi open lounges by BR but the only conversion SK conversion to TSO on the mainline I am aware of is 18806 which was rebulit with the insides of 4936 by WC in the 90s-ish. There are quite a few coaches in preservation/charter stock with significantly changed interiors, chect the VCT preserved coaches database.

4. Unlikely except for something like 13321 which was converted from a FK to kicthen car

Archived