Farish DCC Ready with Farish decoder - what can I achieve?

Tom J

I have bought a DCC ready Farish diesel, with lights and a 6 pin socket, to which I have fitted a Bachmann 6 pin chip. So far, so good!

I am aware that I can't do a great deal with this setup, and that things like independent head and tail lights will require a more complicated installation, but I was wondering just what I can do? Can I dim the lights, for example? I am using  SPROG IIv3 for programming and control.

For any more functionality, must I purchase a posher chip and/or hard wire it?

Thanks in advance. Still on my first steps in DCC!

You will be able to tweak the decoder speed curve to better tailor the locomotive running characteristics to your layout.

Independent control of head/tail lights in this loco is a rewiring job rather than fitting a more expensive decoder and having had a quick look at the online spec sheet the Bachmann decoder lighting output doesn't appear to be dimmable.

• RMweb Premium

With the Bachmann decoder you'll need to use resistors to change the brightness of the lights.

Some more advanced (& expensive!) decoders allow you to alter the brightness of the lights (and make them flash in a number of patterns). Take a look at CT Electronik DCX75, TCS EUN651 or Lenz Silver Mini.

For independent control of head and tail lights you'll need decoders with more function outputs. Again, look at some of the more expensive decoders.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Archived