How many Locomotives in your collection are DCC with Sound?

kitefighter

• RMweb Premium

A handful of my OO locos are sound fitted but all of my G scale ones are. Sound decoders outside are a different beast with more natural muting of the sounds.

However..... G scale locos turned up too loud are even worse than OO gauge ones, 10 watt amplifiers cranked up spoil the ambience somewhat.

I now have 16 locomotives all fitted with sound. 8 Steam and 8 Diesel.

I purchase my sound decoders from Wickness Models & Howes Models.  However, before ordering a specific decoder I will always email the supplier to clarify whether they have an appropriate sound track for a particular locomotive and to obtain any expert installation advice that they can offer.

Quite often, the installation is straightforward, but there are often added complications to consider such as available space within the locomotive to accommodate both the decoder and a speaker.  This is definitely where advice from the supplier, plus a little bit of thinking outside the box plays an important role when trying to achieve a good installation.

Some installations may require dismantling the locomotive body, plus a little bit of cutting and re-assembling using solder or glue.  At first carrying out such drastic alterations to a new locomotive can be a bit daunting, but by taking it slowly, and looking at all options available it can provide the necessary confidence to get the job done.

Having now completed quite a few installations, I tend to look at each new one as an entertaining challenge rather than a chore that needs to be completed.

If I ever get stuck I know that I can get good advice from Douglas ( Wickness Models) who has been a fantastic advisor during my early decoder installation days.

I feel your pain gridwatcher.  In my case it's taken about 7 years but apart from a couple of 'back up' electric loco's and a tamper my fleet is now all sound fitted. And I wouldn't have it any other way now.

ps. Currently fitting sound into (behind) the club 'Thomas', don't ask! kev.

• RMweb Gold

at one point about 75% of my fleet was sound fitted, probably about 25 locos at its peak but i've cut back a bit now and i "think" i have about 15 or so, not had them out of the stock box for over 18 months at least since i sold warmington

off the top of my head i think i have an 03, 20, 33, 2 x 37s, 47, 57, 2 x 66s, 67, tornado, 4mt, 150 and a few spare chips ready to reblow as and when, at one point you could add 08, 31, 40, western, 56, 121, 165, 158 to that lot too

it got to a point where i was getting stuff just for the sake of it really, things that didnt fit in with my chosen modelling era, mainly because as a good friend of bryan at howes he would reblow my existing chips with his latest projects so we could showcase them on youtube, of course you sell things on for a bit of cash to fund other projects too which i've done but not felt the need to replace them

i must admit i am looking forward to getting the final bit of track layed on the layout so i can give my sound locos a good run on a roundy roundy layout as, other than taking them to 250bob's house they have only been used on a shunting plank, hopefully next week if all goes well and i get some shed time this week to secure the last metre of track!!

I have but three LokSound fitted locos out of a total of eight (soon to be four out of nine)

Being my usual unpatriotic stingy self I buy them mail order from Germany - programmed and posted to me they cost a total of £86 each - across the Fen from me, un-programmed, they are £106 each.

Not rocket science, is it ?

I have 7 diesel Locos sound fitted. However running them round a circuit does get on your nerves after a while with the noise just being constant regardless of volume.

But I must admit I do prefer shunting with the sound on which sounds much better as  the loco seems to come alive with braking/revving up etc.

Paul

Between us, and all being well, Jonathan Buckie and I should have one of Jonathan's completed and painted 08-16 tamper kits running around Charlie's stall at Warley with the correct sounds in. The sounds were captured via a depot-based recording session set up for the purpose so you've got the full monty; tamping, sirens, engine, horns, trolleys, etc etc. I've been playing with it in a test-bed loco for a fortnight now and it's great fun! The hardest part was getting the transition between the two different modes (travel mode and work mode) to work right, as they have several conflicting requirements. I am very pleased with the final result though. You can bomb around the layout and it drives like a loco on light engine. Then when you switch to work mode (which involves several steps, all under your control, all with the right sounds) you have much more precise control to move forward, tamp, move forward, tamp etc. I'll try and get a video up after Warley for those who can't make it.

Bif

Archived