Today's Google Logo

edcayton

• RMweb Gold

I've just looked him up on Wiki and it says he did not design the GG1, just improved it

Ed

I think that's what an industrial designer does, that an engineer may be less proficient at - giving an inanimate object some style. So the GG1 was already designed and he stepped in and penned the carbody, initially of riveted construction, later welded. A few years later, his counterpart Henry Dreyfuss did the same sort of job for rival New York Central, with his 1938 styling of the 20th Century Limited, including the 4-6-4 steam locos.

Raymond Loewy also wrote a book entitled 'The Locomotive' (its eshetics) published in 1937, by Studio Publications, Inc., New York.

The book was the third in a series under the headline 'The New Vision', No.1 is 'Aircraft' by Le Corbusier & No. 2, 'The World beneath the Microscope' by W. Watson-Baker.  Untitled "others" were said to be in preparation.  'The Locomotive' was published in Britain by The Studio Ltd., 44, Leicester Square, London and these copies printed in Great Britain by Jarrold & Sons, Norwich.

The book measures 7.5" x 10" and in the brief preface Mr. Loewy says, "My youth was charmed by the glamour of the locomotive.  I am still under its spell and in this volume I would rather write about the beauty of the magnificent creature" (than give lots of details about history, etc) . . . and . . . "in recent years it has been my privilege to design all sorts of things, such as streamlined ships, trans-continental motor buses, automobiles and electric engines.  Never did I dream that my career as artist-engineer would lead me some day to that glorious adventure, the designing of a steam engine" . . . ending the preface, "to engine 3768 my heartiest wishes for a fast and brilliant career". (3768 was the first streamlined Pennsylvania RR locomotive designed by Loewy in conjunction with their Engineering department and had entered service in  March1936).

After 4 pages of some bizarre pictures of amusing contraptions of early 19th century railways, the album contains photographs from around the globe of the latest streamlined designs, including a couple with Raymond Loewy in front of the new 'Pennsy' steam and electric locomotives.

Archived