I always wanted one... never used it though...

The Bigbee Line

I'm packing up for a house move and came across this in a box in the garage:

PO Relays

It's a set of Post Office Relays, must have had them for at least 30 years.  At the time they were the 'Bees Knees' for operating points and rudimentary interlocking.  Must test them to see if they still function, they will do I'm sure.

What items do you have lurking unused in your collection?

• RMweb Gold

Quite a lot of those - once used to operate colour light signals in connection with initially a lever frame and latterly a home made NX panel (which had electro-mechanical exit buttons!) complete with fairly complete interlocking, proper aspect sequences, and even approach released signals at one stage-  A great shame when I changed over to two-rail and lost all the track circuits of course.  Oh my gosh - that was all 50 years ago :O 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm packing up for a house move and came across this in a box in the garage:

It's a set of Post Office Relays, must have had them for at least 30 years.  At the time they were the 'Bees Knees' for operating points and rudimentary interlocking.  Must test them to see if they still function, they will do I'm sure.

What items do you have lurking unused in your collection?

I imagine they will still be working long after most DCC kit in use today has shuffled off its mortal coil, and indeed long after most of us on this forum have ceased to be. They built those things to last.............and last............and last

They are still very much in everyday use on the Network controlling the SR traction substation equipment from the Electrical Control Rooms at Selhurst, Raynes Park and Canterbury.

Lovely to listen to when the ECRO's are doing some switching.

Archived