Hornby Chassis Interchangiblilty.

aaron14xx

G'day all,

I recently purchased a Hornby Scotsman, specifically this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221311858581?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 and was wondering about a chassis swap with a newer Scotsman. I'm doing this, hopefully, on the basis of what people have written about Hornby tender drives from that year (1993) and have been slightly put off Hornby tender drives. That said, I do have a Mainline tender drive Dean Goods, and after an extensive strip down, cleaning and reassembly, it does run well, if with a lot of noise. 

So, could I swap the tender drive chassis and non powered chassis for the ones shown here:http://www.ehattons.com/51238/Hornby_R3086_Class_A1_Flying_Scotsman_in_LNER_Apple_Green_Upgraded_to_3_pole_motor_flywheel_R/StockDetail.aspx?

Or would the older robust RR Scotsman chassis be better?

Thanks for any info,

aaron14xx

post-17209-0-27075800-1384248363.jpg

I successfully stuck the chassis of the original Railroad Scotsman under a BR green Scotsman body. I seem to remember it took a little chopping around with the body but not much. Ended up being offered a ridiculous amount for it on a club operating day so ended up selling it!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

She arrived yesterday and what a beauty she is! The 2nd tender really makes the loco look that bit more impressive. The motor is actually quite good, runs quietly, smoothly with no jerking, can crawl and doesn't whine to hell,

However, it's weak as piss, so to speak, so either new traction tires are required or the motorised loco chassis added to help the tender drive, and give that extra bit of power she so desperately needs.

Thanks all for your info, 

regards,

Aaron

Archived