Modratec users - advice sought

Gwiwer

• RMweb Premium

A Modratec lever frame has been my preferred option for some time to control points and signals on the new layout.  It's almost time to place an order.  Before I do I am seeking advice of users on a number of aspects.

1.  How easy (or otherwise) is the construction of these units in non-interlocked format?

2.  How robust has your proved to be in service?

3.  What problems have you had, if any?

4.  As I intend to use the levers to electrically control points I know I also need their auxiliary switches but do I need as many as I have levers in order to make it all work or can I just use a six-switch aux unit on a 12-lever frame when the other six levers are for mechanical signal control?

You comments are invited.

My plan at present is to fit each of the two boards in build with its own 12-lever frame both placed at adjacent corners to create one near-continuous but unconnected lever frame accommodating a board join.  Each set of 12 levers will then control 6 points (including several individual levers wired to throw paired turnouts at crossovers or close a trap point when the main route is also switched) and either 4 or 5 signals with 1 or 2 "white" (spare) levers.

The reason for the split is to allow wire-in-tube mechanical operation of semaphores which cannot be easily interrupted over a demountable board join.

The alternative for signal control is a single 24-lever frame and awaiting Dapol's SR motorised signals worked electrically though their listed (but as yet unreleased) items will not meet my needs and would need significant adaptation which is an unknown in terms of feasibility.  

Operation is DC and probably using a Gaugemaster "Q" 4-output controller

Hello there,

Coming to end of a time-consuming but thoroughly enjoyable installation of a 36 lever Modratec frame (on my Dad's layout).

post-16151-0-23813500-1384531740_thumb.jpg

I can only help you with some of your queries as this is a fully mechanical, interlocked installation (so it's a bit of a fraud being in the 'electrics' section!)

1.  How easy (or otherwise) is the construction of these units in non-interlocked format?

Construction very easy (well I thought so!). It's robustly made from chunky brass parts and went together quite simply. Some minor filing to fit was required but nothing horrendous. It all fits together with screws locating in tapped holes (and can easily be subsequently part-dismantled, which has proved quite useful when connecting the operating linkages)

2.  How robust has your proved to be in service?

Very robust. One of it's main virtues. Of course this is a trade-off with realism so it depends how much that matters to you. Much more authentic-looking frames are available, with separate catches on the handles, etc - but they are more flimsy. You won't damage the Modratec frame whatever you drop on it!

3.  What problems have you had, if any?

Very little in truth but the one thing I would highlight is the weight. The illustrated installation is on a permanent layout so weight is not an issue but it is heavy! That having been said, if you're splitting yours over two boards, with no interlocking installed then that should cut the weight down per board quite a bit.

Have you been on the Modratec website? The proprietor (Harold) is very helpful, invariably a reply within 24 hours. We actually met him on one of his UK visits, catching up with him at the York show. Nice fella.

Hope this helps.

Archived