24V to 12V DC-DC Converter

Guest Peter Brown

Guest Peter Brown

I have a 19v laptop PSU and I use this for my CDU/Points but it's too much voltage for my LED lighting circuit. Would this converter do the job reducing  the voltage to 12V for my lighting circuit ?

post-20015-0-25616000-1384727910.jpg

Guest Peter Brown

Thanks Andi, I have two power supplies 19V DC for the CDU/Points and 12V 2amp for my LED Lights. Just trying to combine the two into one supply.

I have a 19v laptop PSU and I use this for my CDU/Points but it's too much voltage for my LED lighting circuit. Would this converter do the job reducing  the voltage to 12V for my lighting circuit ?

Hi Peter

Have a look at this website - it has a calculator for resistor values to use LEDs at different voltages:

http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/ledcalc.php

I have found that it is generally better to use a higher resistance than that calcuated to reduce the brightness of the LEDs a bit.

Regards.

Guest Peter Brown

Cheers this is a good site and I was able to calculate the resistors required for my parallel LEDs.

Hi Peter

Have a look at this website - it has a calculator for resistor values to use LEDs at different voltages:

http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/ledcalc.php

I have found that it is generally better to use a higher resistance than that calcuated to reduce the brightness of the LEDs a bit.

Regards.

Guest Peter Brown

Be cheaper (and more efficient) to buy the right power supply!

Andi

Depends what you mean by cheaper, the above unit cost around £3.80

Guest Peter Brown

Connect  the LEDs in series strings, as I said in the other thread, one resistor per string.

ANdrew

Thanks but my LEDs are already connected in parallel.

Guest Peter Brown

And the eBay power supply I linked to cost £3.69 with free postage...

Andi

Andi

Did look at that one thanks, wasn't sure because it was ac to dc rather than dc to dc.

Archived