Hornby Class 56s

wirey33

I'm looking for a Hornby class 56 to which I'll probably add the usual Shawplan goodies.

There seem to be multiple versions of this model which doesn't make tracking down a bargain very easy.

How much better is the latest Hornby version (let's say 56037 - 'Richard Trevithick') versus an older version (let's say 56049 - Dutch Transrail Livery)

If I'm going to be fitting grills, pipes etc. does it matter if I get an older version? Has the body shaped changed?

And before this thread gets way off topic; I'm well aware of the numerous detail differences between various builds (Romanian v Doncaster v Crewe etc.) and I'll pick a suitable one to modify.

Thanks in advance.

You are correct in that the earlier Hornby version was the same as the Dapol/Mainline version (different liveries and numbers, though). These only have a motor bogie at one end.

The later Hornby production (models R26xx onwards) is an entirely new moulding with central can motor, heavy flywheels and all-wheel drive and pickup. This is a much better mechanism than the earlier one.

The mechanism is much better in the latest 56 with Central can drive. The old Dapol/mainline ones were pretty crude and went off like rockets - not sure if Hornby reincarnation was better eg 56049. There was an article in rail express a while back covering detailing the new 56 which concluded with it might have been easier to start with the older body style such were the errors that had to be corrected with the new style body. Straight from the box the newer one is better looking but if you're a perfectionist this article seemed to imply was easier to detail the older style.

Hth,

M

Archived