Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

New Hornby 08, dead decoder?

philsandy

I've just converted a brand new Hornby 08 with sound fitted to EM. (I have been running it a couple of weeks on 00 to make sure everything was OK).

After fitting the new wheels and axles I followed the EMGS instruction sheet and ran the loco without cranks and coupling rods, to check the pickups were OK and rear drive wheel was turning.

I then fitted the cranks, quarted the wheels and fitted the rods and tried running it ... completely dead.

I put a meter on the pick up wire terminals at the decoder and there is a reading, but no reading at the motor teminals.

Has the decoder packed up? and if so do I convert it back to 00 and return it?

Have you tried interrogating the encoder through the programming facility.Start by checking cv 1and see if it can read loco address. If that matches the original address. If that is ok and you get a number less than 255 the chip should be ok. Then check that the values of cv 2 and 3 have not gone to high levels.

Regards

David

Try a  decoder  reset  to factory  settings first,  enter  value  8 in CV 8    see if  that   has  any  effect  ( remembering  that the  address will revert to 3  when you do this)

Is it ok to do factory resets on sound decoders...????

Yes   a  factory reset  should  only    reset  the  Running  CVs   leaving  the  Sound unafected   I have  reset   quite  of lot  of Sound  decoders  to  FF  settings  with no adverse   affect  with the  sounds,, in fact   the instructions  with most  brands   state that  re setting  the  decoder will not  affect  the  sound settings.

Yes   a  factory reset  should  only    reset  the  Running  CVs   leaving  the  Sound unafected   I have  reset   quite  of lot  of Sound  decoders  to  FF  settings  with no adverse   affect  with the  sounds,, in fact   the instructions  with most  brands   state that  re setting  the  decoder will not  affect  the  sound settings.

Thanks Steve,

I wasnt sure, I had this in the back of my mind from a couple of years ago.

You can understand me perhaps erring on the side of caution because of the sound decoder prices.

Bob

Archived