PECO Points and PL13s again

worzel

I posted on here some time ago about   pin problems with peco pl13 micro switches  and got several really helpful replies   thanks very much to all    anyway I've run into another problem and could do with some advice   so here goes    i am using peco 75 electrofrog points with wire in tube an a mse lever frame    and I am glueing the pl13 microswitches on the underside of the points to change the polarity of the frog     all has gone well with a bit of trial and error with the first 22 points but I am stuck with the only 3 way point on the layout   I can't get the switches lined up to changeover   I've replaced both pl13s twice and even resorted to fitting pl10 point motors to try to line them up accuractly  even though they wont be powered   still no luck   the base of the point is now somewhat damaged so i don't want to mess about with it any further   could someone reccomend a microswitch to fit on the end of the tie bar     thanks jim

Proper microswitches, not the rubbish incorporated into point and motor designs! Take a look on ebay, plenty of bargains to be had on there.

I build my Seep point motors on to a sub-base, with its own tiebar which operates one of these microswitches fitted to the sub-base at one end. The other end of the tiebar is fitted with a brass wire, to act as the point actuator. Much easier to locate that into position as a unit underneath the baseboard. The base is built of plastikard; takes about 15-20 mins to assemble one from scratch. I keep promising to post pics up but haven't had time yet.

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

The throw of the blades on the 3-way turnout is less than that on the simple turnouts.  Even when using a PL-10 point motor, it's vital to get the motor (with PL-13 attached) properly centralized.  Otherwise you can have a dead frog in one direction if the mounting is only slightly offset.  If you're fixing the PL13 underneath the tie-bar, then I would suspect it's not moving the PL-13 right over - hence your problem.  The pin needs to be hard to the side of the slot on both directions for proper electrical contact to be made.

I gave up with PL-10s and now use Tortoises instead, which give no problem at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Try these: http://cpc.farnell.com/camdenboss/csmu0101/microswitch-v4-ultra-mini-lever/dp/SW03190?Ntt=SW03190 . Have used these on various layouts with no problems what so ever. Similar available from Rapid Online http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/Microminiature-Lever-Switch-78-0735

Mike

mike  thanks a lot   went to  maplin  got similar switch  for £2.95   worked a treat  no fiddling about   I'm  going to use them for  for all the 23 other electrofrog points I've   I've yet to install  its mucg easier than the pl 13s  for the   10 I've already done         thanks again  jim

ps  don't laugh too much but I took ages figuring out that you  place them on their sides  underneath  with the pin from the tie bar working against the lever   rather than the end of the tiebar depressing the lever         I did feel foolish when  I figured it out

Archived