Operation build it buildings

Hippo

• RMweb Premium

Me thinks I may need to be bold and try this label printing lark and see how it turns out. Sounds like all I need to do beforehand is to master how to cut the thick card with a straight rather than angled/chamfered edge and I'll be home and dry.

• RMweb Premium

Another benefit of printing onto label stock, if you use the same type/size/quality, is that colours stay pretty much the same, which isn't always the case with white paper/card stock of varying thickness, as the 'whiteness' of the stock can vary along with the level of ink absorption, and this affects the shades/colours you will get.

It is also very useful for producing windows. Stick the window sheet on clear plastic/acetate and cut out where the glass should be leaving the frames in situ. In common with others I also find it better than trying to use glue to stick the thin printed sheets onto thicker backing card, you can wrap around corners/edges much better and get a sharper edge.

I have found these aspects to be of great advantage, and especially in the smaller scale of 2mm.

Staples have single sheet/A4 labels (the only source I have so far found), but only in packs of 100 sheets at around £11. So my needs are covered for the foreseeable future!

Izzy

Sounds like all I need to do beforehand is to master how to cut the thick card with a straight rather than angled/chamfered edge and I'll be home and dry.

The knife blade can cause this, look at the blade its chamfered in on both sides, you start your cut with the very thin edge of the blade against your straight edge and it gradually pushes the blade over as it goes up the chamfer, one way round this is to pierce through the card with a small sharp point and cut so far from each side.

As for printing to labels I find its ok for some parts, but with the bigger wraps you only get one chance to stick it on without any creases and aligned correctly, at least with glue sticks you can peel it back and try again.

• RMweb Premium

The knife blade can cause this, look at the blade its chamfered in on both sides, you start your cut with the very thin edge of the blade against your straight edge and it gradually pushes the blade over as it goes up the chamfer, one way round this is to pierce through the card with a small sharp point and cut so far from each side.

As for printing to labels I find its ok for some parts, but with the bigger wraps you only get one chance to stick it on without any creases and aligned correctly, at least with glue sticks you can peel it back and try again.

Maybe using a thicker straight edge would help solve the problem then as the body of the blade would already be against the "ruler" right at the start. Another bonus could be that there is less chance that the blade can climb onto the "ruler" as it has further to climb, so to speak.

Me thinks I may need to be bold and try this label printing lark and see how it turns out. Sounds like all I need to do beforehand is to master how to cut the thick card with a straight rather than angled/chamfered edge and I'll be home and dry.

Hi, Ray,

The second part of Post 14 here might help.....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69653-where-to-cut-scalescenes-parts/

Doug

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the link - I read that post some while ago. I obviously need to try harder.

I have a recollection of seeing something about handed marking knives - as used in woodwork - where the blade only tapers on one side, the other side is straight,  to resolve a similar issue. Something like that might be ideal save that you'd probably need to spend as much time sharpening it as you do using it.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well I have built 2 of the 3. I intend to build the last one some time this week coming although its just the weighbridge.

post-8690-0-74150900-1391380648.jpg

The lamp hut has come out quite well.

post-8690-0-61470000-1391380735.jpg

post-8690-0-39395300-1391380775.jpg

Owen

• RMweb Premium

They are in the current February copy of the magazine. The next edition is out on the 13th. I must say I am pleased with them, they do need a coat of matt though.

Owen

I have to agree with Izzy, The relief is non existent and its probably the worst scalescenes model I have come across. I appreciate that John is working for Hornby magazine on these designs as nothing I have bought off the website has been this bad. I still built it though  :no: . Its not nearly as nice as Izzys 2mm scale one but here's some pics any way.

Unfortunately one of the downsides of the Hornby Magazine insets is the fact that I only have a predetermined number of pages to fit the kit on. With regards to adding more depth to the walls, I tried but just couldn't get it to fit easily on the sheets. I was also conscious of trying to keep the construction fairly simple, part of Hornby Mag's brief is to create a magazine aimed at beginners and those returning to the hobby. 

I certainly plan to flesh out the kits with a few more details before I release them on the website later in the year...

John

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for replying John. I look forward to buying them later in the year when you release them.

I guessed it was a Hornby mag problem not a Scalescenes one, but as freebies go I have enjoyed building them.

Ta Owen 

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately one of the downsides of the Hornby Magazine insets is the fact that I only have a predetermined number of pages to fit the kit on. With regards to adding more depth to the walls, I tried but just couldn't get it to fit easily on the sheets. I was also conscious of trying to keep the construction fairly simple, part of Hornby Mag's brief is to create a magazine aimed at beginners and those returning to the hobby. 

I certainly plan to flesh out the kits with a few more details before I release them on the website later in the year...

John

That would be good. The provender shed is nice to make and the concrete finish is great, I just didn't appreciate how heavy the relief on the sections was until I actually made the kit, something didn't quite look right, and I looked at some prototype shots. Obviously you have a delicate balancing act to perform when producing such items for mags, but it does at least introduce many more modellers to the delights of card modelling, which can only be a good thing.

That yours are easily the best is just a bonus.

Izzy

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well the latest Hornby magazine has been purchased today and I am very impressed with the kit. I am planning on building it tonight and will definitely look out for it when its released later in the year. Photo's later :yes:

Owen

• RMweb Premium

Well I've done a quick build on the latest Hornby magazine operation build it warehouse, and I love it. I cannot wait for John to release this later in the year so I can do a proper build.

post-8690-0-52012900-1392580584.jpg

post-8690-0-26164400-1392580625.jpg

post-8690-0-08323800-1392580635.jpg

post-8690-0-42166300-1392580643.jpg

The pictures make it look a lot better than it is, I did rush it a bit. Also some of the parts were a long way out, I know my cutting is poor but the inner end walls were a about 5 mill bigger in both directions than the outer end walls ? i wonder if Hornby magazines printers have some answering to do. I still really like this building though the mix of Ashlar and brick is really good.

And one final one with a Hornby shunter to give a better idea of scale.

post-8690-0-54536400-1392580655.jpg#

Owen

Well I've done a quick build on the latest Hornby magazine operation build it warehouse, and I love it. I cannot wait for John to release this later in the year so I can do a proper build.

attachicon.gifD1.jpg

attachicon.gifD2.jpg

attachicon.gifD3.jpg

attachicon.gifD4.jpg

The pictures make it look a lot better than it is, I did rush it a bit. Also some of the parts were a long way out, I know my cutting is poor but the inner end walls were a about 5 mill bigger in both directions than the outer end walls ? i wonder if Hornby magazines printers have some answering to do. I still really like this building though the mix of Ashlar and brick is really good.

And one final one with a Hornby shunter to give a better idea of scale.

attachicon.gifD5.jpg#

Owen

That was quick, still waiting to start mine! :O  I agree it does look good and just the thing for a lineside industry. Now where is the glue and knife?

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

The Scalescenes water tower is here.  It has been cleverly designed to fit the Dapol tank underneath if you prefer, and that was my plan so I bought the tank as I never thought the card would make convincing metal.

However when I built the small engine shed I discovered the textures were in fact excellent for metal.  I've therefore built (or mainly built, a few more bits to go on & be painted) the Dapol tower in its own right.

I may do without the Scalescenes water tower for the time being.  I hope John forgives me, but it will leave money for other kits; I haven't really a logical place for it now; and I have learnt so much from building John's kits I feel I could make a decent bash at scratchbuilding one with another Dapol tank on top - I must have something like 50% of the Scalescenes textures to do so now! 

• 2 months later...

Hi, I have two questions to things mentioned earlier in this thread:

It sounds like the the store is one that was on Scalescenes website sometime ago.

The free one which was a wooden building on brick plinths, I believe was replaced by a red or brown brick store, this has also been removed.

I do have both of them stored though.

attachicon.gifCOncrete store.png

attachicon.gifSmall goods store.png

[...]

Ian

Does anybody know when the brick store was available and under which model number? I don't seem to remember that kit from Scalescenes althoug it clearly corresponds very well with the Boilerhouse...

[...]

I did think this evening after I had finished it, I wonder if I bought a digital copy of the magazine I would just be able to print it out on label paper....

[...]

Owen

Has anybody tried purchasing a digital copy? Are the insets included there as well (and with sufficient resolution) to be printed at home? Otherwise, in my opinion the original Scalescenes PDFs are are more than worth the few pounds they cost.

Best regards,

Martin

Archived